Cheesy, gooey delicious tangy green enchiladas are one of my favorite meals ever! I love them so much I need them on my meal planning menu more than what I can have eating out. So after several recipe testing sessions this is THEE BEST green enchilada sauce recipe ever!
WHAT IS GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE MADE OUT OF?
Tomatillos! the main ingredient for green enchilada sauce are tomatillos. You can find them at your local grocery store! I found mine by the tomatoes, but sometimes they can be by the peppers or even by the onions. They are like a small green tomatoes with a husk around it.
HOW DO I PREPARE TOMATILLOS?
To prepare your fresh tomatillos for the sauce you'll want to being by removing the husk and rinsing the tomatillos with water. Under the husk there is a sticky residue you will want to rub/rinse off.
other ingredients in green enchilada sauce are:
- green chili's
- and cumin
HOW TO MAKE GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE
Now that you have washed your tomatillos you're ready for step one.
On a sheet pan place your tomatillos, jalapeño and onion in the oven on broil.You will want the pan fairly close to the burner so that it roasts the veggies and gives them a slightly charred skin.
After about 5-7 minutes flip your veggies and let it roast the opposite side for about 5-6 minutes.
Dump all that goodness into a blender. Dump all the juices that seeped out during the cooking process too! DO NOT DISCARD it!
Now add your fresh cilantro, garlic, green chilis and spices.
Blend until nice and smooth. Wasn't that easy? Literally the easiest sauce in the world. You'll never go back to buying canned again.
HOW TO MAKE GREEN ENCHILADAS WITH THE HOMEMADE GREEN ENCHILADA SAUCE?
Now that your sauce is finished, you are ready to roll and up those enchiladas. I like to place a little enchilada sauce on the bottom of my pan, to help with sticking. Take your favorite flour or corn tortillas and add your favorite meats or cheese! Need some ideas? Try
SMOTHER your enchiladas with the delicious green sauce. Cover the edges too!
Cover the edges too!
Top with cheese. Of course.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until the middles are warm. I like to cover mine for the first 20 minutes so the cheese doesn't get over cooked. I love to serve these with fresh onions, sour cream, creamy avocado! Whatever your taste buds love!
Keep in touch!
If you try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce
- 1 lbs tomatillos about 6-8 tomatillos
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño 2 if you want a little kick
- ½ onion
- 2 cans green chilis small cans
- 1 cup broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Shuck and wash tomatillos
- Place under broiler for about 5-7 minutes, when one side starting to turn char, filp and add onion and jalapeño.
- Broil the opposite side for another 5-7 minutes till it is roasted.
- Take out and place all roasted ingredients including juices in blender. Add garlic, salt, chilis, cumin, cilantro and broth. Vent for the steam and blend till smooth.
- Allow the hot enchilada sauce to cool in blender all together.
- For flour tortillas fill with your favorite meat, roll and place in pan seam side down.For corn tortillas: Prepare corn tortillas by dipping in hot oil and fill with your favorite filling. Suggestions : Shredded chicken and cheese, bean and cheese, shredded beef, sautéed shrimp, shredded pork. (often I cook the meat in the crock pot, this makes for a really fast meal preparation)
- Pour enchiladas sauce over prepared enchiladas
- Top with green enchilada sauce and cheese if desired.
- Place in oven at 350, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, or heated through. Top with Sour Cream.