Sweet Pork? Is that a thing? If you've never tried Cafe rio's sweet pork you might be questioning my judgement on this sweet pork recipe...but DON'T! throw caution to the wind and make a batch this week. Your entire family will not stop eating it! Tender sweet pork in a both savory sweet sauce that you can top on just about anything! I've been told this sweet pork recipe is THE BEST! Way better than the original even.
This post is sponsored by BRIANNAS, however all opinions and recipes are our own!
Because the instant pot is such an incredible device making our life 100 times easier I'm showing a sweet pork tutorial to making it in the pressure cooker! I've kept the original slow-cooking recipe in the recipe card still, along with the instant pot instructions. So you can make it whatever way you prefer!
How to make Instant Pot Sweet Pork Recipe
The instant pot instructions are very similar to the slow cooker instructions with the exception that we are going to speed up the process by several hours!! To start out let's talk about the meat you want to buy!
What meat do you use for this sweet pork recipe? After trying all the pork cuts fresh pork butt is my very favorite. Fresh creates a meat that not only is moist and tender but it cooks faster and better! When I've bought frozen or pork butt that is pre-packaged and has sat around in a fridge for weeks it takes a lot of extra time to cook till it is shred-able, and because of that it is sometimes dry. I buy mine from the grocery store butcher, right out of the window. Stock up when its on sale!
Pork butt is also prime for cooking a tender pull apart meat because of the beautiful marbling.
Create a spice rub
Next you take these spices and create a nice salty flavorful rub.
Rub it all over the cracks and crevices of your pork butt, I let to let my pork butt rest with the rub on it for about 30+ minutes. But if you are in a rush you don't have to.
Put your instant pot on saute setting and brown both sides of your pork butt in some oil. Now, seal and cook high pressure. I cook my 4lb pork butt for 60 minutes and natural release. It was completely tender and fell apart with my fork
How to make the cafe rio sweet pork sauce
While your meat is cooking (whether slow cooker or instant pot) you you can make your sauce!
You'll need a can of coke, 1 cup brown sugar, mild red enchilada sauce and green chili's. (if you like spicy you can grab a spicer enchilada sauce and/or green chili's)
In a blender blend all your ingredients together until they're fairly smooth.
Remove excess liquid from your meat and pour the sweet pork sauce into the cooked shredded pork.
I love to let the meat marry for a while with the sweet sauce before serving. Keep it on warm setting either in your instant pot or slow cooker.
How do I serve this sweet pork recipe?
BRIANNAS has a delicious, tangy creamy cilantro lime dressing we always have on hand and love to douse our tacos, nachos and taco salads in. This recipe is PERFECT for a tailgate or football game night. It makes enough for a huge crown and is always a huge hit. Make mini tacos with this dressing + guac or make a giant sweet pork nacho platter! We made this last night for a big game and all the guys devoured the entire pot!
Additional sides to make with this sweet pork recipe?
Most often we make sweet pork meat and serve it with fresh salsa or Pico de Gallo, and of course homemade guac (or at least avocado!). Serve it with this really easy mexi-rice and its a slam dunk dinner.
Make this recipe? Have questions?
Please let me know if you make this instant pot sweet pork recipe? I love to hear from those who make my recipes. If you want to keep up with our newest recipes, make sure you follow is on Facebook and Instagram, and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
Shredded Sweet Pork
sweet pork rub
pork and sauce
- 3-4 lbs pork butt fresh if possible
- 12 ounces can of coke
- 1 small can red enchilada sauce
- 4 ounces green chilis
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 cup water
Instant Pot Instructions
- Mix rub spices together and rub all over the pork butt. Allow to rest for about 30 minutes up to a few hours.
- In instant pot on saute mode brown pork butt on both sides. Add water to instant pot seal and cook 60 minutes then natural release.
- In blender add coke, green chilis, brown sugar, garlic salt, enchilada sauce and blend until smooth. When instant pot is finished, remove liquid from pot, shred meat and add enchilada sauce mixture.
- Let meat marry in mixture for about 20-30 minutes before serving.
Slow Cooker Instruction
- Mix rub spices together and rub all over the pork butt. Place in slow cooker with 2 cups water and let cook low 6-8 hours. When pull apart tender drain excess liquid and shred meat.
- In blender add coke, green chilis, brown sugar, garlic salt, enchilada sauce and blend until smooth. Add to shredded meat and let set.
- Let meat marry in mixture for about 20-30 minutes before serving. Keep on low or warm setting.