This Raspberry Jello Salad, or sometimes called Congealed Salad, it the perfect light fruity side or snack. It's always a hit with the adults and kids.
What is Congealed Salad?
Congealed Salad is also the same as jello salad or gelatin salad. It's a salad made with flavored gelatin, fruit and many times a creamy mix-in like cream cheese, whip cream or buttermilk. If you are a fan of jello salads you MUST make this Raspberry Pretzel Jello Salad
Why you will love this Jello Salad!
- It's simple to make and great to for a make-ahead side
- Customize the flavors! If you prefer peach or strawberry use those.
- It's beautiful layers and fresh fruit give this jello salad a gourmet taste and look so adults love it.
- The light creamy flavors are a huge hit for kids.
- Jello is a great palette cleanser when switching from a few different savory food dishes.
Ingredients for Congealed Salad
- 2 6oz boxes of raspberry Jello- Feel free to use sugar free.
- 3 cups boiling water
- orange juice- with or without pulp.
- ice - this will help chill and thicken jello so it will layer faster
- whipped topping- you can use cool whip (preferred) or whipped cream
- Fresh fruit- I like to compliment the jello I'm using but you can pair it with another fruit too.
How to make Layered Jello Salad
- In a large mixing bowl add your packages of jello
- Stir together boiling water with jello for 2 minutes until completely dissovled.
- Pour in orange juice with
- ice and stir until ice is melted.
Divide your Jello
Depending on how you plan on layering your jello you will want to divide your jello mixture into two large bowls.
Refrigerate bowl bowls for 15 minutes
Now that the jello is slightly thickened you are going to layer it.
- If dividing into cups add a small amount to the bottom. If you are making in a 9x13 pan or bunt cake pan pour one entire bowl into the pan.
- Add Fresh fruit if desired.
- Mix Whipped topping into bowl #2. Whisk until smooth.
- Add creamy jello later to the top of the 9x13 pan or if doing individual cups continue to layer as you like it. The jello should be set up enough to hold its later without mixing together.
Top your Jello Salad
When serving your congealed salad its delicious to add more whipped topping and fresh fruit. I also crushed some freeze dried strawberries or raspberries for a little extra gourmet feeling.
If you forgot about your jello (totally guilty of this) and its set its actually pretty easy to return to liquid form. Just microwave it. So at small amounts and whisk in-between. Once its at a desired thickness finish the process.
In the south many make this type of salad in a bundt cake pan. You can slo use a 9x13 pan or do individual cups for small dinner parties.
Before pouring into a bundt pan spray it with non-stick spray to help the jello come out in one piece.
PRO TIP: if serving the jello in individual servings keep them on a sheet cake pan while carrying them back and forth from the refrigerator,
Is Jello Good for you?
Bone broth is all the rage for its healthy ingredients and healing properties. Jello is made of many of the same ingredients but with a sweetness instead of savory. Gelatin in general contains proteins and antioxidants, which help protect the cells in the body, that can support the health of the digestive system, bones, skin, joints, and more. It's also an excellent source of calcium and magnesium.
Need another delish Side Dish? Try these!
Keep In Touch!
If you tried this Congealed Salad Recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Cool Whipped Layered Jell-O
- 3 Cups Boiling Water
- 2 6 OZ Raspberry Jell-O's
- 2 Cups Cold Orange Juice
- 8 ounces Cool Whip or whipped cream
- 3 Cups Ice
- 1 cup raspberry or fruit cordinating with your jello
- Stir boiling water into the jello for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups ice with the Orange Juice. Stir until the ice melts.
- Pour ½ of the jello into a 9x13. Add fresh fruit if desired. Leave remainder in the bowl.
- Refrigerate both for 15 minutes.
- Stir whip cream into the jello in the bowl. Pour on top of the other layer.
- Can also add fruit to the bottom layer. Have fun with it!
For individual servings
- Stir boiling water into the jello for 2 minutes.Add 3 cups ice with the Orange Juice. Stir until the ice melts. Fill individual cups with jello- using only half of the jello liquid. refrigerate cups and bowl of remaining jello for 15 minutes. Stir whipping cream bowl with remaining half of jello and pour into cups. Depending on the size of your individual servings should make 8-12 servings.
Making this for thanksgiving! Looks beautiful. How earlier do you think I can make it? Thanks.
As long as the jello is air tight (so other aroma's from the fridge don't seep into the jello) you can make this a few days in advance!
Erin V says
Such a pretty layout for thanksgiving! Also, the raspberries on top make it look so fresh