These are seriously the ultimate breakfast (or brunch! muffin) I die over coffee cake and making them in to muffins seriously makes it all even better. Same delicious flavor packed with streusel and baked in one third of the time. I dont know if I'll ever make an entire coffee cake again because of the ease of these coffee cake muffins.
INGREDIENTS FOR QUICK AND EASY COFFEE CAKE
These are the same ingredients I use for coffee cake, I just put them into muffin tins- with add in's sometimes. Using Bisquick speeds up the process so fast. Which, when you are hungry in the morning and dont want to wait, or have the patience of measuring 10 ingredients this is perfect.
- bisquick *can use gluten free bisquick for a gluten-free coffee cake, see alterations below.
- optional add ins: blueberries, fruit, jam
HOW TO MAKE COFFEE CAKE BATTER
- In a stand mixer, or large bowl add your bisquick.
- add in sugar and stir
- add in egg
- add in milk
Stir until its combined.
CAN I ADD FRUIT, JAM or CHOCOLATE CHIPS TO MY COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS?
YES!! I add fruit all the time. It's my kids favorite. You can add the fruit right into the batter and scoop into the muffin tin OR if you re making a variety of flavors (as shown below) you can add them to the middle off the muffins.
- fill the muffin tin about ⅓ full of batter, add filling.
- top with more batter so the muffins are about ¾ full
- Add streusel....
WHAT IS STREUSEL?
Streusel is a crunchy sugary topping used for numerous baked goods like muffins, coffee cake, cobblers and pies. You make it by cutting in cold butter into a mixture of flour, sugars and spices using a fork or pasty cutter.
HOW TO MAKE STREUSEL FOR COFFE CAKE MUFFIN TOPS
- In a bowl add your dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add in your cold butter
- Using two forks or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter so you have a crumbly mixture.
Top this streusel to the top of your muffins
WHY DOES THE BUTTER NEED TO BE COLD FOR STREUSEL?
Using cold butter allows the topping to melt/bake slower than the muffins. When the butter is already room temp it will cause the streusel topping to melt and spread all over the pan. By using cold butter the streusel stays on the muffin tops and creates a delicious crumbly crunchy sugary topping. It's seriously the best!
ADD STREUSEL TO THE MIDDLE!
Sometimes I like to double my streusel recipe and add a small spoonful to the middle. This just makes it a little more flavorful and beauty. I add it just like I do the fruit!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE COFFEE CAKE
I have tested out the busquick gluten free mix and it does work with this recipe with one slight alteration- I needed to add ⅓ cup more of milk to make it the right consistency.
If you tried these Coffee Cake Muffins or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Coffee Cake Muffins
- 2 cups bisquick *FOR GLUTEN FREE BISQUICK SEE NOTES
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 TBS sugar
- ½ cup fresh blueberries optional
- ¼ cup bisquick
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 TBS cold butter
- preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix bisquick, milk, egg and sugar until well combined. Stir in blueberries.
- Fill cupcakes half full with batter. they will rise quite a bit!
- In a separate bowl combine topping ingredients. Cut with pastry cutter or two knives until crumbly.
- Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.
- Makes 12 standard muffins