I have wanted to make one of these pies for a long time, but to be honest I'm not the biggest pot pie person. My husband, however, is. He really enjoys and good pot pie, and since I have a good pie crust recipe (and know I can pull it off) I decided to see if I could pull off the inside.
I looked up a bunch of other recipes and noticed a lot of them called for things like canned cream of chicken soup or a can of veg-all. Not what I'm going for. I want the creamy gravy inside. maybe even potatoes. SOOO I tried it, and I feel it was successful. Next time I might add a little more flava flava of some kind, like more bouillon?
I used THIS perfect pie crust recipe. This recipe makes two pies...because the pie crust recipe makes 2 pies. PERFECT meal for when you are giving one away. Here is how it all went down.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 ⅓ cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 rotisserie chicken. meat picked off and juices from bottom of pan dumped on top of chicken for flavor very important
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrot chopped
- 1 cup red potatoes cut pretty thin
- 1 cup russet potatoes cut pretty thin
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 30 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Mix dry ingredients
- Cut shorting into dry ingred. -use butter knives or pastry blender and criss cross them
- Slowly pour in ice cold water and mix till dough pulls away from sides. keep cutting until you have a firm ball of dough
- Divide dough into 4 balls and roll out on floured surface. The pie top dough circles should be rolled out a bit thinner.
- Fold into halves with transferring so the large rolled out circles don't rip.
- In large sauce pan melt butter. Add onion, celery, carrots and potatoes, sprinkle with salt and seasonings. Cook till onions are translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over and stir. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Add chicken, broth, and peas. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Right before dishing into pie crust add cream and stir to combine.
- Ladle into pie crust and add top of pie crust.
- Bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes till crust is golden brown. Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. If you serve immediately the sauce will be very runny. Let it stand and it will turn creamy :)