Love Lasagna AND Fettuccine Alfredo? We sure do at our house! So we did a little bit of a mash-up of our two favorite recipes and boy is it AMAZING!! This Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna is quite literally the best thing to hit our house in a while.
If you enjoy recipes using alfredo sauce, then you will love this easy fettuccine alfredo recipe or this alfredo pizza recipe. Both are perfect for quick and easy weeknight dinners! For another recipe mash-up, I think you will love this penne rosa with its creamy marinara sauce.
Why This Recipe Works
Deliciously creamy alfredo lasagna with chicken and spinach the whole family will love.
An easy-to-make one-dish meal that’s perfect for an entire meal or you can serve it up with your favorite salad and toasted garlic bread.
Chicken spinach alfredo lasagna is a comfort food classic that’s the perfect home-cooked dinner meal for families of all sizes.
The best chicken alfredo lasagna recipe thanks to a punch of flavor in the ricotta layer thanks to some pesto!
About the Ingredients
Don't be scared off by the long list of ingredients in this easy chicken alfredo lasagna recipe. It's actually quite easy to make and most of the ingredients are easy to find in your local grocery store.
- Chicken: I love to use rotisserie chicken or any leftover shredded chicken as a way to save time when making this recipe.
- Lasagna noodles: This recipe uses traditional lasagna noodles you need to boil before layering into the lasagna.
- Baby spinach: Perfectly tender and requires almost no prep in order to add to the lasagna.
- Heavy cream: Gives the alfredo sauce its rich creamy texture. For best results don’t swap out with regular whole milk or half and half.
- Nutmeg: Our signature secret ingredient we add to alfredo sauce. It gives it a truly unique flavor.
- Fresh lemon: The second secret ingredient for making the best alfredo sauce. It adds plenty of brightness to all the flavors of the alfredo sauce.
- Pesto: Mixing pesto into the ricotta is a simple way to add flavor to this layer of the recipe.
The complete list of ingredients and quantities is in the recipe card.
How to Make Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
I'm going to walk you through making this alfredo lasagna recipe step by step so you will see how easy it is to make. We're going to start with prepping the pasta, ricotta, and sauce. Then I will show you exactly how to layer the lasagna perfectly.
Step 1: Heat salted water to boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook just until al dente. When they're ready, remove from the water, drain and rinse with cold water.
Step 2: Combine the lightly scrambled egg with the ricotta cheese and pesto in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside until ready to layer the lasagna.
Step 3: Make the homemade alfredo sauce for lasagna. In a small sauce slowly melt your butter and add in your minced fresh garlic (always fresh people, not from a jar!)
Let them melt and heat together for a minute or two to allow the garlic flavors to infuse into the butter. Keep the heat on low, med-low. You don't want to brown your butter.
Step 4: Add your cream, cheese, fresh ground nutmeg, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. DO NOT SKIMP!
On medium heat stir these together until the cheese is completely melted. Then you are ready to layer your lasagna.
Step 5: Now that everything is prepped you're ready to layer the chicken lasagna with alfredo sauce. There's a certain order to how to layer this lasagna!
- ALWAYS add a little sauce to the bottom of your pan to prevent from sticking.
- Shredded chicken (I love to use rotisserie chicken!)
- Chopped Spinach
- about ¼ cup alfredo sauce
- Top final layer with noodles.
LAYERING PRO TIP: Count your noodles and decide how many layers you will be doing. I wanted 5 layers of noodles so I divided my ingredients into fourths so it would all be even. Top layer noodles don't count when calculating splitting up the ingredients.
Step 6: Now that you've finished your layering pour the remaining alfredo sauce (it should be a lot!) on top of the noodles. Covering the entire surface.
Step 7: Add one final layer of mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of parsley!
Step 8: Cook lasagna until the internal temp is 165 degrees. I love to cover my lasagna with foil for about 20-30 minutes to keep the cheese from browning and drying out too much. I remove the foil for the last 15 minutes and let it bubble just slightly.
- Roast your favorite veggies and add them into the layers. Check the notes in the recipe card for instructions for roasting vegetables to add to the lasagna.
- Remove chicken for a meat-less option.
- Use gluten-free noodles and the entire dish will be GLUTEN FREE! The sauce does not use any wheat flour!
- Or use flat zucchini noodles for a lower carb option.
Salt the water before adding pasta! This will enhance the flavor of the pasta.
Rinse the noodles with cold water or toss in a little bit of oil to prevent them from sticking and tearing when you go to assemble the lasagna.
For the best flavor use FRESH ground nutmeg. I was taught to buy them whole and grate them. Sooo good!
The FRESH squeeze of lemon is the difference between a good and GREAT alfredo sauce. The lemon changes everything.
For ANY pasta you are boiling follow the directions on the box for al dente time. It's as easy as that! No guessing is needed. If a box says boil for 8-10 minutes- boil for 8. Keep it on the shorter end because the noodles will be cooking more as they bake in the lasagna.
Adding an egg to your ricotta will not change the flavor or make anything more fluffy. The reason we add an egg is that it helps to bind the cheese in the layers so when you cut into the lasagna it doesn't all slide out.
The last ingredient added to the top of lasagna is the last of your sauce followed by cheese. The cheese seals everything in and holds it together.
More Easy Pasta Recipes for Dinner
Our French bread is the perfect companion for a weekend dinner with this chicken alfredo lasagna with spinach. I also love serving it with one of our delicious salads. If you're looking for more pasta recipes - try out our:
Stay in Touch
If you tried this Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna or any other recipe on the blog then don’t be shy! Let us know! Rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- 3 cloves garlic fresh, minced
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ Teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 ½ c parmesan cheese
- 14 oz ricotta cheese
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 tbsp parsley
- Prepare noodles by boiling. Chop Spinach and parsley. set aside.
- Lightly beat one egg, add ricotta and pesto. Stir till combined.
- In small pan add butter and garlic. Melt on low until butter is melted. Let Garlic and butter sit on low for about 2 minutes so butter is infused with garlic flavors.
- Turn heat to med. Add in cream and broth. Slowly stir in parmesan cheese so it melts. Add nutmeg and lemon juice. Stir until cheese is melted and all in combined smoothly. Do not bring to a boil!
- Spread some sauce on bottom of 9X13 pan. Layer noodles, ricotta, chicken, veggies, cheese, sauce. Continue to layer in this order times to make 3-4 layers. When at top layer add rest of alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese and parsley.
- Cover with foil, Bake at 350, bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15-20 more minutes. Serve. Internal temp should be 165 degrees.