Love Lasagna AND Fettuccine Alfredo? We sure do at our house! So we did a little bit of a mash up of our two favorite recipes and boy is it AMAZING!! This Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna is quite literally the best thing to hit our house in a while.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY LASAGNA!
HOW LONG DO I COOK LASAGNA NOODLES
ANY pasta you are boiling follow the directions on the box for al dente time. It's as easy as that! No guessing needed. If a box says boil for 8-10 minutes- boil for 8. Keep it on the shorter end because the noodles will be cooking more as they bake.
NOODLE PRO TIPS:
- Salt the water before adding pasta! This will enhance you pasta's flavor.
- Rinse with cold water, or add a little oil to the water to keep from sticking. Normally I dont do this with my pasta- becuase the starches on pasta after cooking help the sauce to adhere to the noodles, HOWEVER Because I will be letting the noodles cool and handling them I like to rinse them with cold water or toss in a little bit of oil to prevent them from sticking and tearing.
HOW TO MAKE THE RICOTTA LAYER:
I love to add loads of flavor right here in this layer. Because the pasta overall is a creamy calm flavor in this ricotta later I'm going to add a punch of flavor with pesto!
I'm also not adding any parmesan cheese as a typical red sauce lasagna might add because all that parmesan cheese is going to go in the alfredo sauce instead.
WHY DO I ADD AN EGG TO RICOTTA?
Adding an egg to your Ricotta will not change the flavor or make anything more fluffy. The reason we add an egg is because it helps to bind the cheese in the layers so when you cut into the lasagna it doesn't all slide out.
Lastly- HOW TO MAKE KILLER GOOD ALFREDO SAUCE
I'm telling you, this sauce is incredible! I've altered it just slightly from my fettuccinie alfredo pasta recipe because I want the sauce to go a little bit further without an million extra calories from more cream or cheese.
Step 1: Garlic butter
In a small sauce slowly melt your butter and add in your minced fresh garlic (always fresh people, not from a jar!) let them melt and heat together for a minute or two to allow the garlic flavors to infuse into the butter. Keep the heat on low, med-low. You dont want to brown you butter.
Add your cream, cheese and your two secret ingredients. DO NOT SKIMP!
On medium heat stir these together until the cheese is completely melted. Then you are ready to layer your lasagna.
- FRESH ground nutmeg. I was taught to buy them in whole form and grate them. Sooo good!
- FRESH squeeze of lemon. THIS! is the difference between good and GREAT alfredo sauce. The lemon changes everything.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE CREAMY ALFREDO LASAGNA
- chopped spinach
- shredded chicken ( I love to use rotisserie chicken or any leftover shredded chicken)
HOW TO LAYER CREAMY CHICKEN ALFREDO LASAGNA
- ALWAYS add a little sauce to the bottom of your pan to prevent from sticking.
- Shredded chicken (I love to use rotisserie chicken!)
- Chopped Spinach
- about ¼ cup alfredo sauce
- Top final layer with noodles.
LAYERING PRO TIP: Count your noodles and decide how many layers you will be doing. I did 5 layers of noodles so I divided my ingredients into fourths so it would all be even. (top layer noodles don't count.)
Now that you've finished your layering pour the remaining alfredo sauce (it should be a lot!) on top of the noodles. Covering the entire surface.
Add one final layer of mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of parsley!
HOW LONG DO I COOK LASAGNA
Cook lasagna until the internal temp is 165 degrees. I love to cover my lasagna with foil for about 20-30 minutes to keep the cheese from browning and drying out too much. I remove the foil for the last 15 minutes and let it bubble just slightly.
HOW CAN I ADAPT THIS RECIPE?
- Try roasting your favorite veggies and adding them into the layers (included instructions below)
- Remove chicken for a meat-less option
- Use gluten free noodles and the entire dish will be GLUTEN FREE! (the sauce does not use any wheat flour!)
- Or use flat zucchini noodles for a lower car option.
Creamy Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- 3 cloves garlic fresh, minced
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ Tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 ½ c parmesan cheese
- 14 oz ricotta cheese
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken
- 3 tbsp parsley
- Prepare noodles by boiling. Chop Spinach and parsley. set aside.
- In small pan add butter and garlic. Melt on low until butter is melted. Let Garlic and butter sit on low for about 2 minutes so butter is infused with garlic flavors.
- Turn heat to med. Add in cream and broth. Slowly stir in parmesan cheese so it melts. Add nutmeg and lemon juice. Stir until cheese is melted and all in combined smoothly. Do not bring to a boil!
- Lightly beat one egg, add ricotta and pesto. Stir till combined.
- Spread some sauce on bottom of 9X13 pan. Layer noodles, ricotta, chicken, veggies, cheese, sauce. Continue to layer in this order times 3-4 layers. When at top layer add rest of alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese and parsley
- Cover with foil, Bake at 350, bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for 15-20 more minutes. Serve. Internal temp should be 165 degrees.