One of my fav restaurants in Outback Steak House. I love the simplicity and the bold flavors. At a recent trip I ordered a side of broccoli and cheese with my steak and holy moly! It was sodanggood! Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables – but I know many have an aversion to it. Well I’m here to tell you that if you add this simple cheese sauce to your broccoli – you will be converted!
Made In Minutes
The base of this recipe is a ridiculously easy cheese sauce. You start by making a roux, add a little milk, add a few spices and some cheddar and you’re done! I like to use the broccolini in this dish, because it adds a gourmet touch – but regular broccoli works just as well. I recently discovered that Costco sells broccolini, so that is what I’ve been buying.
The seasoning blend in the recipe really packs a punch. They bring this dish up a notch from broccoli with cheese to cheesy delicious broccoli. Serving them in individual casserole dishes is also a nice touch that makes dinner time extra special. Like I said, the sauce is spiced, so if you or your family is sensitive to the spices, feel free to reduce the amounts.
I was recently turned on to the Tillamook farmstyle cut shreds. I’ve always been a Tillamook fan – I’m partial to the white chocolate yum ice cream, so I was so excited when I saw these in the deli aisle.
I hope you’ll try this restaurant quality side dish this week!
Even broccoli haters will love this cheesy broccoli side dish. Serve with steak for the ultimate comfort food.
- 1 head broccoli cleaned and chopped into florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a saucepan melt butter. Add flour and whisk until combined. Cook until fragrant.
- Add whipping cream and milk, continue to whisk until thickened.
- Add 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese and spices, whisk until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile blanch your broccoli and drain.
- Pour cheese sauce over broccoli
- Transfer broccoli to small oven safe dishes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.