Does anybody else out there become obsessed with a particular meal? Like, obsessed? I have been craving these tacos I’ve been dreaming up for weeks. I literally dreamed about them. Who does that? I’d plan it out in my head while driving in the car, while eating other sub-par food out and about, and before drifting off to sleep I’d be tasting all the flavors in my mouth and sorting out the best way to get it in my belly. I’m ecstatic to finally share this with you. My husband kept grunting during the meal and stole all the leftovers a couple hours later (while claiming he told me he was about to eat them…under his breath) so I take that as a sign of success.
You can fry your little chickies, but I chose to bake them. Frying, while absolutely the best way to enjoy food, can be a pain to clean up, kinda smells up your place, and with small pieces of chicken like this, can be tedious. Otherwise, bring on the grease. In this case with the small pieces, I used the same method I use in my Sweet and Sassy Chicken Wings recipe. Coat with the standard egg and milk mixture, dredge in flour mixture, then spray with cooking oil so it can bake up nice and crispy.
Squeeze a little lime over your chopped romaine, celery, avocado, and green onions. Cool and crisp salad for the chicken. The slight lime flavor is absolutely perfect. And a twist or two of coarse salt. Because salt makes everything better. (I am a cardiac nurse, so I will say in moderation. OK. Whatever.)
The spicy, vinegary, tangy buffalo sauce with rich buttery, um, butter….I feel like it’s the definition of a flavor explosion.
Bathe those crispy chicken nuggets in the buttery buffalo sauce. Let them just soooooak it all up.
What would a buffalo chicken taco be without blue cheese? Nothing. Make your own blue cheese ranch dressing.
Kroger sells these incredible soft, freshly-made tortillas in the bakery section. Like I watched her make them and package them. I buy these in bulk and keep them in the freezer. Or make your own, which are just as amazing.
Finish off with the blue cheese ranch and this might just be a match made in heaven.
These'll be completely gobbled up by the end of dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts diced into 1-2" pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/8 c milk
- 2 c flour
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 t salt
- cooking oil spray
- 2 large handfuls chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 4 sticks celery chopped
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/2 lime
- 4 T butter
- 1/2 c Frank's buffalo hot sauce
- 8 fresh tortillas
- 1/2 c mayonaise
- 1/2 c whole milk
- 1/2 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1/4 c blue cheese crumbles
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Chill at least 1 hour prior to serving.
- In bowl, whisk egg and 1/8 c milk until froth appears.
- In another bowl, mix flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Spray cooling rack over your sink with cooking oil spray until well-coated. You could also grease with shortening or butter. Set over foil-lined jelly roll pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dip pieces of chicken in egg mixture, then coat in flour mixture. Lay pieces on cooling rack. Spray pieces with cooking spray. Flip chicken over with tongs and spray their other side.
- Bake chicken at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until outsides have lightly browned and crisped.
- In bowl, mix chopped romaine, diced avocado, chopped celery and green onions. Squeeze half of a lime over mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt.
- Melt butter in medium glass bowl. Add buffalo hot sauce. Mix.
- Add cooked chicken pieces to buffalo butter sauce, toss until chicken is well coated.
- Assemble tacos by layering lime salad, buffalo chicken, blue cheese ranch dressing, and garnish with blue cheese crumbles. Serve immediately.
These can be made a little healthier and faster by omitting the battered/baked chicken part. Simply cook your diced chicken with a little salt and pepper, then cook with the buffalo and butter sauce.