In my mind I’m picturing something like Costco’s Mango Salsa. Chopped tomatoes, peppers, and…some…. err…. like boiled cranberries? I was kind of at a loss as to what on earth cranberry salsa could be.
A week later, I am at the party, with a plate full of food, I’m feeding my face when I think- OH! The cranberry salsa Lyndsy was bringing. Did I see it? did I miss it? Is it this delicious red sauce on my plate? with cream cheese? what the? YES! It was totally disguised. might as well put a mustache on it! It didn’t look like any salsa I’m used to making. I really tried, like tried hard, not to- for once- ask someone for their recipe. Since my friends all know about this bloggity blog sometimes I feel sooooo silly asking for their delicious recipes. I went like a month without asking. ha. maybe not even that. I HAD To! We were hosting a baby shower and nothing sounded better and more awesome to surprise our guests with.
Here is how to make your Cran-berry-sal-sa!
You are going to want a large food processor or a good blender. Shown here is a Vitamix. With a Vitamix or Blendtec the texture will come out a little more smooth and saucy. You will need to use your plunger with the Vitamix and stir a few times with a Blendtec or other blender. With a food processor it’s hard to get it that smooth, but it tastes great either way! Just throw all your ingredients in a pulse and stir till smooth!
Whatever your platter choice, spread out your cream cheese then top with salsa! So easy! Serve with chips or crackers.
Also, I made my favorite drink. I’m not totally a fizzy drink person all the time. I absolutely LOVE homemade lemonade. I added strawberries to add to the V-day atmosphere.
- 1 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries + 3/4 C sugar OR 1 can of whole cranberries in sauce (found by your pie fillings in the baking isle)
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 bunch green onions (4-5)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 limes juiced (2-3 tbsp)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pkg cream cheese
- Mix the cranberries, jalapeño, cilantro, green onions in a food processor, add salt, sugar* and lime juice. Stir till combined.
- Drain salsa of excess liquid in a fine mesh strainer.
- In a serving dish smooth cream cheese out & pour cranberry salsa over.
- Serve chilled with tortilla chips or crackers.
- *3/4 cup of sugar ONLY IF USING FRESH CRANBERRIES. If using the Canned omit the sugar.