Baked apple salad combines earthy fall flavors and textures while still being fresh and bright. Hearty pecans and brown sugar compliment autumn apples and crisp greens for the perfect side. And on top of all of this - it's vegetarian.
The Perfect Side Dish
I've had this recipe in my collection since I was a newlywed. We have loved this addition to simple dinners for many many years. This salad comes together in under 30 minutes and never disappoints with its sweet and savory flavors.
How To Bake Apples
I love baked apples. I love how they make my house smell, and I love the texture. So to start off this recipe you're going to bake up some apples. Don't worry - its simple - quarter and core your apples, sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans, and drizzle with a little butter. Pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes and you're good to go.
What are the best apples for baking?
The best apples for baking are ones that hold their shape rather than turning to mush. Here is a list of apples that are great for roasting:
- granny smith
- braeburn (a personal fav for snacking)
- honey crisp
Pro Tip: Choose an apple that is firm and in season while grocery shopping.
Why Should I Make Homemade Dressing?
Homemade dressing is so easy and delicious. You literally throw a few ingredients in the blender and you're done. Homemade dressing tastes better. Homemade dressing has no preservatives. Homemade dressing is fast.
This dressing is simple with a tangy bite. Combine:
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper
in your blender as the perfect addition to this baked apple salad.
What Can I Serve This Salad With?
This salad pairs perfectly with any heart meal. Try it with:
- a rotisserie chicken
- pot roast
- as a side on Thanksgiving
Don't Be A Stranger
Please let me know if you make this delicious baked apple salad!! I love to hear from those who make my recipes. If you want to keep up with our newest recipes, make sure you follow is on Facebook and Instagram, and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
Baked Apple Salad
- 2 gala apples cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 4 cups red leaf lettuce chopped
- ⅕ cup dried cranberries optional
- Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Place apples cut side up in dish. Top with brown sugar, pecans, and drizzle with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until apples are tender.
- While apples cool, make dressing.
- Assemble salad by starting with a bed of greens, add cranberries, and place baked apples on top. If any pecans have fallen in baking dish, add those to the salad also.
- Serve with dressing on the side.
- In a blender combine all ingredient. Pulse until smooth.