Blue cheese, you love it or you don't! (or so you think...) I was a blue cheese hater UNTIL I had it done right and became a lover. I truly believe anyone would be obsessed with it if they really had it made like I did. I've tried, tasted, tested and now have the perfect blue cheese dressing! Drench your wedge salad, dip your wings OR even your burger.
How to make wedge salad and blue cheese dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing
Making blue cheese dressing is really simple. My best advice (besides following the recipe proportions) is to use quality ingredients. It makes all the difference when you're using great mayo, flavorful cheese and the best garlic sea salt.
TIP: if you like your blue cheese dressing smooth place all ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. Otherwise just give it a good whisk all together.
How to cut a wedge salad
It's taken a few times to figure out the perfect way to cut the perfect wedge salad.
Step 1: Purchase a nice, fresh crips and tight iceberg lettuce.
Step 2: Pull off the loose, wilting outside leaves.
Step 3: Find the core, or heart of the iceberg lettuce. Turn it to the bottom, so the whole head is resting on the core and hit it hard on a flat surface, like your counter top. This will crack/loosen the heart so you can pull it right out, leaving the entire head still in tack.
Step 4: rinse the lettuce
Step 5: Cut. Slice straight down the middle. If desired cut into 4ths.
A wedge salad traditional consists of fresh crumbled bacon, ripe tomatoes, red onions and creamy blue cheese dressing.
Blue Cheese Dressing/Sauce
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon or vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into 4th
- ½ cup bacon freshly cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ red onion sliced
Blue Cheese Dressing
- For smooth dressing place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Or, you can mix all ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined.
- Let dressing marinate for an hour or more before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container
Wedge Salad Instruction
- Peel wilting leaves off iceberg lettuce head. Crack and pull out iceberg core. Rinse. Cut lettuce directly in half, then half again.
- Top with freshly cooked and crumbled bacon, halved ripe cherry tomatoes, sliced purple onions, and homemade blue cheese dressing.