One of my fav restaurants in Outback Steak House. I love the simplicity and the bold flavors. At a recent trip I ordered a side of broccoli and cheese with my steak and holy moly! It was sodanggood! Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables – but I know many have an aversion to it. Well I’m here to tell you that if you add this simple cheese sauce to your broccoli – you will be converted!
Whipping this side dish up with your dinner will take only a few minutes, and you’ll be left with a gourmet side dish. The sauce is spiced, so if you or your family is sensitive to the spices, feel free to reduce the amounts.
I hope you’ll try this restaurant quality side dish this week!
- 1 head broccoli, cleaned and chopped into florets
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan melt butter. Add flour and whisk until combined. Cook until fragrant.
- Add whipping cream and milk, continue to whisk until thickened.
- Add velveeta cheese and spices, whisk until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile blanch your broccoli and drain.
- Pour cheese sauce over broccoli
- Transfer broccoli to small oven safe dishes. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.