Strawberry shortcakes make a great summer dessert that is light and sweet. Or, if you are in the mood, they make a fantastic breakfast. I always have a bit of a sweet tooth so for me, any time of the day is good! They make a good 6 servings but you could easily slice the biscuit in half and serve each half with strawberries and cream on top, doubling the servings to 12. With such a fast cook time and staple ingredients, this is a great recipe to have in your collection.
There are a few things to note with this recipe. For starters, it is a very crumbly dough. Too much flour and it will be too crumbly…sift your flour! If your dough is falling apart so much so that it will not mold, then add 1 tsp more whipping cream. The addition of a little moisture will make it stick. I live in a very dry climate and this was necessary for me. If you live in a humid area, this might not be the case. First follow the recipe, the adapt slightly as needed.
Use a food processor to puree strawberry with a little sugar for a rich smooth filling! Save some sliced strawberries to add in as well- but the puree is just what these strawberry shortcakes need to balance the flaky sweet biscuits.
Strawberry shortcakes are quick, delicious and filled with sweet cream and fruit. These sugary biscuits make a wonderful breakfast or dessert.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 lb strawberries hulled and quartered or halved
- 3 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease baking sheet.
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir well.
- Gradually add the cream in, tossing with a fork until clumps form.
- Gather clumps together; but do not knead the dough. Dough should be slightly crumbly, but if not sticking together, add another tsp of whipping cream.
- Shape the dough into a 6-inch log. Cut into 6 slices and place the slices on the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, puree a quarter of the strawberries with the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the remaining strawberries.
- Just before serving, whip the cream until soft peaks- can substitute with whipped cream.
- Gently slice each shortcake in half. Put whipping cream and strawberry filling on bottom and replace top.