I've been making this soup for a couple years now, and every time I do, I can't get over how easy and how delicious it is. I know those terms are used quite loosely in the foodie world, but this is pretty dang foolproof, takes 5 minutes to throw in the crock pot, and the flavors are incredible.
Start With Salsa Verde
Start with a great salsa verde (Trader Joe's for the win, but any will do) and that does most of the work for you with it's tangy tomatillo, savory garlic, and yummy onion and garlic. We fight over leftovers, and I even make baby food with it that my 10-month-old grunts between bites for (don't worry, baby food recipes to come next week).
Homey Soup With A Mexican Flair
While we do have a similar recipe here on the site already, Des' Creamy White Chili, this has a little bit of a Mexican flavor to it, especially if you garnish it with lime, avocado, cilantro, and some crispy salty tortilla chips. I also throw in some kale for you-can't-even-taste-it nutrition.
This has become our healthy Halloween tradition before heading out to gather all that sugar.
Pair it with my bubbly Green Chili Cheese Bread, and you have a match made in heaven.
Salsa Verde Chicken and Kale Soup
- 2 chicken breasts
- 12 ounces jar salsa verde Trader Joe's has an excellent one
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can great northern beans
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 bunch of kale stems removed and leaves chopped
- lime wedges
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- monterey jack cheese
- Place chicken breasts, salsa verde, beans, green chilies, and broth into crock pot. Cook on low 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred with two forks. Return to crock pot.
- Add kale to crock pot. Continue to cook on low 2 more hours.
- Garnish as desired.
Pressure Cooker directions: Place everything in pressure cooker, cook on 'soup' mode for 1 hour. Shred chicken, garnish.