Methods for making this creamy white chicken chili
1. slow cooker:
2. stove top:
3. the PRESSURE COOKER!
How to make creamy white chicken chili in the instant pot
Cook your chicken! Add 2-3 chicken breast into your instant pot and cook on poultry setting. 25 minutes, high pressure. Quick release and then shred! (If your chicken is frozen, add a couple more minutes and let it natural release)
PRO TIP!! Use a hand held mixer to quickly shred your chicken in the instant pot bowl!
Remove the shredded chicken and turn your instant pot to sauté mode. In a little oil saute your onion and garlic for just a couple of minutes.
Toss all ingredients, except the cream and sour cream, into the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. You can quick release!
When you're done cooking your chili, right before serving it, add your sour cream and heavy cream. You do not want to bring your chili to a boil after you have added your cream. It will cause it to become grainy.
Stir it all in and devour!!
Some tips that I found to be successful in making this Creamy White Chicken Chili:
2. Buy the "mild" green chilies if cooking for children. Unless you and your kids like the heat then grab the medium or hot can! The fire roasted green chilis also have a bit of heat and add great flavor!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 3 large boneless/skinless chicken breats cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 45 ounces great northern white beans rinsed and drained 3 cans
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- 8 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- a few twists of pepper grinder or ½ tsp
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup whipping cream
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Add 2-3 chicken breast to instant pot with 1 cup water or broth. Cook on poultry setting. Drain, shred chicken. Add beans, onion, garlic, broth, green chilis, spices and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Quick release, add sour cream and heavy cream. Stir together and serve.
Slow cooker Instructions
- Add chicken, beans, spices, garlic, onion and broth in slow cooker. Allow to cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. When done remove chicken, and shred. Add chicken back in and also add heavy cream and sour cream. Stir together and serve immediately.
- Cut chicken in to small bite sized chicken. In a large sauce pan saute chicken, onion, and garlic until chicken has a few brown sides and no pink.
- Add beans, broth, chilies, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer about 20 mins uncovered.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and cream.