If I tell you there is a delicious, fluffy completely addicting cookie that has NO SUGAR would you try it? Applesauce cookies are just that. Slightly sweet, moist, full of flavor and chocolate-perfect cookies without brown sugar or white.
My kids ate them so quickly! They had NO IDEA these were no sugar cookies! And to be honest, they're one of my favorite sweet cookies to bake. I think after you try them out you will totally agree!
If you enjoy this applesauce cookie recipe, you might also enjoy these brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Why You Will Love This Applesauce Cookie Recipe
- Healthy, yet heavenly. A healthy cookie that doesn't taste it!
- A hit with kids and adults!
- An easy recipe. Just a few simple steps and ingredients!
What is an Applesauce Cookie
Applesauce cookies have the texture of a pumpkin cookie. It's soft and fluffy, filled with creamy chocolate chips. Instead of sugar to sweeten the cookies you use applesauce. The type of apple sauce you use does make a difference.
Ingredients for 5 star applesauce cookies
You will need
- baking soda- this helps the cookies nice and fluffy
- Shortening- shortening serves its own purposes it allows cookies to be light and fluffy without becoming dense. If you choose to substitute it with oil, which you can, it will not be as fluffy.
- chocolate chips. I'll explain more about this in the post but I prefer milk chocolate chip cookies for this recipe.
PROTIP: You can make your own applesauce. Homemade applesauce naturally comes out sweeter, and you can add your own (sugar free or special type of sugar like coconut) to your applesauce.
Not All Applesauce Brands are Created Equal
We performed a taste test between brands and between original and unsweetened applesauce. What we found? "original applesauce" enhanced the flavor of the apples and created the perfect sweetness for the applesauce cookies.
We also found that some applesauces have very little flavor. Some of our favorite applesauces
- Great Value Original Applesauce
- Tree Top AppleSauce
- Motts Applesauce
Is there a lot of sugar in applesauce?
In an original applesauce there is about 12g grams of sugar. Total for this recipe will be 48g, divided by about 48 cookies would mean there is about 1 gram of sugar per cookie. We have a nutrition fact calculator at the bottom of our recipe card for you to ensure the exact numbers.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Applesauce Cookies
Step 1: In a small bowl add your applesauce.
Step 2: add in baking soda
Step 3: Mix it together. It will fizz a little bit while mixing. This is good!
Step 4: Will be to add to the creamed butter, eggs, vanilla and shortening.
Step 5: add shortening and butter in mixing bowl
Step 6: cream together
Step 7: add applesauce
Step 8: slowly mix in your flour.
Stir in Chocolate Chips
I like to use MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS because they are much sweeter than semi-sweet chocolate chips. So this helps makes the cookies a little more sweet. If you love dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips, by all means use those!
Applesauce cookie batter
This batter is similar to a pumpkin cookie batter. It's sticky, not one that you can roll into balls. so just plop a spoonful on to a cookie sheet. Space them far enough apart to allow the cookie to rise and spread as it bakes.
Bake them for about 12 minutes, when they are turning a light golden color. (clearly you can see we use extra chocolate chips)
YES! Think of more of a muffin sweet. Remember to use "original applesauce" that has sugar in it to ensure sweetness in the batter.
Using a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop you can make about 3 dozen cookies!
Yes! Freezing cookies is a great way to save what you don't eat for later. Pack them in your lunch and they'll be thawed by dinner.
Healthy Applesauce Cookies
These are great cookies for friends who are on a low-sugar or diabetic diet. While they still need to count the "carbs" these will have significantly less carbs and sugar than other cookies while also satisfying your cookie craving.
How can I make these sweeter if desired?
There are a few different ways you can make these sweeter.
- Drizzle milk chocolate or make a ganache and dip the cookies in.
- Make an iced applesauce cookie!
- Top or roll in cinnamon sugar! A cinnamon applesauce cookie is delicious!
Looking For More Recipes? Try These!
Keep In Touch
Please let me know if you make these applesauce cookies!! I love to hear from those who make my recipes. If you want to keep up with our newest recipes, make sure you follow is on Facebook and Instagram, and make sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
Applesauce Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup softened butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt omit if using salted butter
- 1 pkg of chocolate chips
- Cream together butter, shortening, eggs, vanilla
- In a small bowl combine applesauce and baking soda
- Add to butter mixture, gradually add flour, add salt, stir in chocolate chips and drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 350 for 12-15 minutes
- Makes about 3 dozen