Have you ever eaten at Noodles and Company? We had one nearby when we lived in San Diego and loved eating there!! We dined there numerous times while we were dating. Our dish of choice was the penne rosa! It had the spicy tomato cream sauce, fresh tomatoes and spinach, mushrooms, and parmesan crusted chicken. To die for.
We have been making our at home version ever since we moved away from San Diego and our local Noodles and Company. It has been a lazy Sunday afternoon staple for years and years and years around this house. We adore how fast and easy this dish is to whip up and to us it is the ultimate comfort food. Reminds us of home and reminds us of lots and lots of happy memories during our dating years.
This is a semi-homemade recipe and doesn’t require lots of skill or a pantry full of special spices or ingredients. It is a solid, basic, make any day of the week meal that I promise will please your tummy!
I’ve subbed canned tomatoes for fresh when they aren’t in season and we’ve loved it just the same! I hope you’ll try this easy dinner this week!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 24oz jar of marinara sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp + crushed red pepper flakes (adjust depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4oz can sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 16oz penne pasta
- grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Prepare penne pasta per package instructions.
- Meanwhile, Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Coat chicken in bread crumb mixture.
- Cook chicken in a skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat until cooked through and lightly browned. Set aside to rest.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of oil to the skillet and cook garlic until fragrant.
- Add in diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook for 1 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce and crushed red pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Add mushrooms, spinach. Cook until heated through.
- Toss with penne.
- Serve with chicken and garnished with additional parmesan cheese.