EASY delicious mint brownies! They're the perfect combination of fluffy minty frosting and thick, decadent chewy brownies. Best of all they're semi-homemade basically they taste like they are from scratch and you slaved hours over them when really you used the best box brownies and homemade frosting combo.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE MINT BROWNIES
- 2 boxes of brownie mix (i recommend Ghiradelli)
- powder sugar
- peppermint extract
- heavy cream
WHAT BOX BROWNIES ARE THE BEST?
According to several Test Kitchens, the best boxed brownies that taste and texture are the most like a delicious homemade brownie is Ghiradelli's. I highly recommend using this brownie mix. You can use whatever is your favorite or preferred however.
DO I HAVE TO USE TWO BOXES OF BROWNIES
Because you are adding a frosting to the top of the brownie you want the combination to be equal in taste and texture. A nice thick chewy chocolatey brownie with a creamy minty frosting in perfect proportions.
STEP 1: HOW TO MAKE THE BROWNIE BASE
- empty your box brownies into a large bowl.
- add your oil, eggs and water (or whatever ingredients is called for) x2.
- Mix it well.
In a PARCHMENT PAPER LINED 9X13 PAN add the brownie batter.
WHY DO I LINE MY PAN WITH PARCHMENT PAPER?
ok, you don't HAVE to. But I highly recommend it. I like to remove my brownies from the pan for the recipe to help it cool quicker and to frost. Brownies are more chewy and can be a little more stubborn than typical baked goods like cake- which will mess up your frosting! by using the parchment paper it makes it so easy!
Bake brownies and let cool. While cooling begin frosting steps.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM MINT FROSTING
This frosting really is the creamiest frosting! You will love it.
PRO TIP: Use a paddle for mixing your frosting
HOW TO EXPERTLY MIX YOUR BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Add your room temperature butter to a stand mixer. Mix your butter for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly incorporate your powder sugar, milk, vanilla and peppermint extract
- beat for about 5 minutes
- Lastly add your green food dye and mix for about 30-60 seconds more.
Your frosting will be nice and fluffy. AND GREEN. Can you omit the green food dye? absolutely! Or use an organic one.
HOW TO FROST YOUR MINT BROWNIES
You can add as much or little to your frosting as you desire. Some people like less or more, I do use it all.
TOPPING YOUR BROWNIES WITH CHOCOLATE
You can top your brownies with several different options. If you are a rich decedent chocolate lover I suggest making a ganache and covering those bad boys! If you are like me and prefer just a light dusting of chocolate on top shave a chocolate bar.
- shaved chocolate from a chocolate bar (shown)
- a chocolatey mint- like andes chocolates
- fudge sauce
- ganache (in recipe notes)
HOW TO STORE YOUR MINT BROWNIES
Store these brownies in an air tight container after serving. You don't need to keep them refrigerated, but can if desired.
WANT SOME OTHER CHOCOLATEY DESSERTS? TRY THESE!
If you tried these Triple Layer Mint Brownies or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to
- 1 cup room temp butter
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- drops green food coloring
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 brownie mix boxes SEE NOTES
- chocoate bar for shaving or ganache recipe in notes
- In a large bowl add brownie mix and ingredients instructed on back of box. Mix well, pour into a parchement paper lined baking pan and bake for about 45 min or until done. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting
- In a stand mixer, using your paddle attachment cream your butter for two minutes. Slowly add in all other ingredients and mix on med speed for about 5 minutes. Spread evenly over brownies after they have cooled.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave off the side of the chocoalte bar. Or pour ganache over frosting and let cool.
Heat cream in heavy saucepan over low-medium heat. Once cream has been steaming for several minutes, whisking constantly, remove from heat. Pour in chocolate chips. Let stand 5 minutes. Whisk together until chocolate has melted and ganache is smooth and shiny. Pour over cream cheese layer
Chill in refrigerator several hours.
Cut using sharp knife, ran under hot water, and cleaned between slices.
Emily Kemp says
Wow these are the ultimate festive dessert, I can't stop staring!