Think of the BEST chocolate pie of your life and then take it up a notch with a butter thin mint crust. You guys are going to die over this Chocolate Mint Pie. For reals, it s the best chocolate pie recipe of your life.
Chocolate Cream Pie
What is a cream pie? A cream pie or creme pie is a type of pie filled with a rich custard or pudding that is made from milk, cream sugar, thickener (like flour or corn starch), and eggs. It comes in many forms, including vanilla, lemon, lime, peanut butter, banana, coconut and chocolate. We have a delish banana cream pie and a toasted marshmallow!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This easy chocolate cream pie recipe is the perfect ending to a feast of brined turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. But it is also a delicious dessert to serve after any meal, not just Thanksgiving. You're going to love this recipe because:
- It is made ahead of time, leaving you time for dinner preparations the day of serving.
- This Pie is loved by even the pickiest pie eaters. I promise!
- The only requirement for this recipe is stirring. If you can stir, you can make this cream pie.
- While some recipes use instant pudding like instant chocolate jello pudding this one is done the old fashioned way, and it makes all the difference! Homemade beats instant pudding every time!
Chocolate Cream Mint Pie Ingredients
cornstarch - this is the thickener for the custard. This can be located on the baking aisle at your grocery store.
pantry items - there are a few pantry items needed for this recipe like sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
whole milk - when making this recipe it is really important to use whole milk. Skim or low-fat milk will result in a runny filling.
half and half - half and half is just what is sounds like. It is half heavy cream and half whole milk. You can purchase half and half on the dairy aisle at your grocery store.
thin mints - these can be found at any grocery store.
whipped cream - You can use store bought in a can, frozen whipped topping (like cool whip) or homemade whipped cream.
How to make thin mint pie crust
Making the mint pie crust is so simple and fast!
Step 1: In a blender or food processor place one package of thin mints in and blend until crumbs.
Step 2: Add in your butter
Step 3: In your Pie pan gentle press the crust together.
Step 4: Bake crust for about 5-7 minutes and let cool completely.
Make homemade chocolate custard
In a small bowl you will want to whisk your eggs then :
Step 1 - In a 4 quart saucepan, add your sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk to combine these dry ingredients. Pour in whole milk and half and half. Whisk until well combined. Set heat on your stove to medium.
Step 2 - As you heat the mixture continually whisk. When I say continually, I mean constantly. Stir continuously until mixture is thickened and simmering. This will take roughly 10-15 minutes. Make sure you are stirring the entire time.
You'll know when the mixture is thick enough because you'll be able to coat the back of a wooden spoon and run your finger through it. If the line remains, it is thick enough.
Step 3- 1 tablespoon at a time at a time add the hot liquid to your eggs while whisking. When you have added about 1 cup you can combine the two. Make sure you are whisking eggs continuously while you pour the small amount of hot liquid in. This is called tempering your eggs.
Step 4 - Pour tempered eggs into your thickened custard while you whisk. Continue to stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
Add In Chocolate
Lastly- remove from heat and add in butter, vanilla, and chocolate chips. Stir until combined and smooth. Then pour into your pie crust.
What Kind of Chocolate Chips Do I Add?
I like to use a really great quality chocolate like guittard or ghirardelli.
I recommend using a semi-sweet or dark chocolate chip. Because you are combining the chocolate with a lot of cream and sugar using a milk chocolate chip will result in a pie that is not as rich in chocolate flavor.
Top Mint Pie
Top you pie with whipped cream and garnishes before serving. Garnishes that I love are
- Chocolate ribbons (see tips below)
- Crumbled Thin mints
Mint Pie Recipe FAQ's
To avoid soupy, runny custard, make sure to use whole milk and cook it until it's nice and thick. Undercooked pudding is the #1 reason the pie gets soupy. One trick to check the doneness is to coat the back of the spoon with pudding and run your finger right through the middle.
Cream pie will last 4-5 days in the fridge. This pie must be refrigerated.
Yes, we recommend making this pie a day ahead, because it requires hours of chilling before served.
How Can I Make Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Pie?
This chocolate cream pie filling is gluten free! So to make the crust gluten free you will need to purchase gluten free thin mints. Goodie Girl makes a thin mint cookie.
You could also sub thin mints for gluten free Oreos and make an Oreo crust with this filling?
Can I use this Filling with Different Pie Crusts?
Yes!! If you prefer a traditional crust, Oreo, or graham cracker crust make those. This Strawberry Pie has a delicious graham cracker crust recipe. And easy, fool-proof pie crust is so buttery and flakey.
Expert Tip for the best Chocolate Curls-
You will want to top your pie with whipped cream. Then for an extra grommet pie add some chocolate curls. They are simple to make.
- heat your chocolate bar in the microwave for 5-8 seconds.
- remove and hold your chocolate bar with parchment paper to prevent melting on your hands
- Using your vegetable peeler peel, Tip your chocolate bar to the side and slowly peel the side of the bar.
It's very important that your bar be slightly warm. Room temp or cool bars will not create curls but rather break apart easily.
What chocolate bar is best?
I tried a handful of different milk chocolate bars and they all performed the same when I warmed them for a few seconds in the microwave.
Love Pies? We have more MUST TRY!
If you want an unconventional pie, check out this Brownie Pie, it looks delicious!
Leave Us A Comment!
If you tried this Chocolate Mint Pie or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Chocolate Mint Pie
- 10 oz. package Grasshopper cookies or Thin Mint cookies
- ¼ c melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 21/2 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips quality brand
- whipped cream store bought or homemade
Thin Mint Pie Crust
- Blend cookies in blender until you have crumbs, then pour into deep pie dish.
- Pour melted butter into pan, mix well with hands, then press into sides and bottom for crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- In a 4 quart saucepan, add your sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk to combine these dry ingredients.
- Pour in whole milk and half and half. Whisk until well combined. Set heat on your stove to medium.
- As you heat the mixture continually whisk. When I say continually, I mean constantly. You're going to stir until your arms fall off. Stir continuously until mixture is thickened and simmering. This will take roughly 10-15 minutes. Make sure you are stirring the entire time.
- Add about a cup of hot liquid to your slightly beaten eggs, adding 1 tablespoon at a time. Make sure you are whisking eggs continuously while you pour the small amount of hot liquid in. This is called tempering your eggs.
- Pour tempered eggs into your thickened custard while you whisk. Continue to stir and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in butter and vanilla. Stir and add in chocolate chips. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Pour chocolate custard on top of pie crust.
- Press plastic wrap to the surface of the custard layer. This prevents the custard from forming a thick skin. Cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with whipped cream, and additional garnishes if desired.
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- With a hand or stand mixer, beat whipping cream with mixer, add in sugar and vanilla.
- Beat 2-3 minutes until soft peaks form.