Fluffy, buttery, with a slight crispy bread crust wrapping a warm savory hot dog. Put a few googly candy eyes on them and you have the cutest, most delicious mummy dogs ever! This mummy dog recipe is easy, fast and wit a few secret ingredients the best you'll ever make.
WHAT ARE MUMMY DOGS?
Mummy dogs are a form of dish called "pigs in a blanket." It's a buttery dough wrapped around hot dogs, sausage or mini sausages and baked to a golden brown. You can add candy eyes, or make mustard eyes and serve with a delicious dipping sauce.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS MUMMY DOGS RECIPE?
- hot water
- hot dogs
WHY DOES THE RECIPE CALL FOR SHORTENING
While it is not very much shortening, the shortening does make a difference. It allows the dough to rise while baking and create a delicious fluffy bread with a soft crispy golden crust. It's the secret ingredient!
HOW TO MAKE MUMMY DOG DOUGH
I have found our no-rise pizza dough is the very best dough for this recipe. It compliments the salty hot dog perfectly.
- Start by adding hot water
- add sugar
- Start mixing the ingredients together on a low speed
- Keep mixing while slowing adding flour
- Now add the yeast
- Mix the dough for about 5 minutes letting the mixer to kneed it.
HOW TO WRAP THE HOT DOGS LIKE MUMMY'S
- On a floured surface roll the dough out. Keep it longer than wider.
- Using a pizza cutter cut 1-2 very skinny pieces.
- Take your hot dog and wrap it with the long skinny piece of dough.
- wrap it in different directions and you can use 2 pieces if needed.
PROTIP: only cut one to two strips at a time. If you cut the all the strips at once as it sits waiting to be rolled up the sides will rise and stick to each other, it will be complicated and messy getting them unstuck.
ADDING EYES TO YOUR MUMMY DOG RECIPE
There are to traditional ways to add eyes to your mummy dogs.
- candy eyes
- mustard eyes
- CANDY EYES
I love the fun whimsical look of candy eyes. They're my favorite. I like to wrap the eyes in with dough and immediately place in the oven. Occasionally the eyes will melt in the oven (i had a couple out of the entire tray) When I pull the mummy dogs out of the oven I just simply replace the eyes. Very easy solutions. I also notice different brands melt easier than others (the blood shot eyes melted easier than the white eyes)
2. MUSTARD EYES
To do mustard eyes simples wrap your mummies, leaving a gap for eyes between wraps, and bake. After it is baked add to small drops of mustard in the gap of the bread.
MUMMY DOG DIPPING SAUCE
This dipping sauce it the perfect compliment to the buttery savory mummy dogs. Best part- its so easy and you have it all on hand.
You will need
Stir together and dip.
HOW DO I STORE COOKED MUMMY DOGS?
If you have a few leftovers simply stick them in an air tight container. They will keep for about a week in there.
WHAT SIZE HOT DOG DO I NEED TO USE?
You really can use any size hot dog, sausage, little smokies or polish dog for this recipe. The cooking time will stay the same, about 15 minutes.
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE AND PIGS-IN-A-BLANKET?
These are the same!! If its not halloween then leave the eyes off and just wrap your dog in the dough for a great party, tailgate and family dinner food.
Keep In Touch
If you tried this MUMMY DOG RECIPE or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
MUMMY DOGS/ Pigs-in-a-Blanket
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 cups flour extra for the floured surface
- 16 of your favorite hot dogs (reg size) more or less depending on the size of your hot dog. litte smokie, sausage or polish dog.
- 1-2 TBS melted butter (optional
- 40 candy eyes
- 2 TBS ketchup
- 2 TBS mayo
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- Add hot water into your mixer. Add salt, sugar and shortening. Start mixer on med-slow speed and slowly add 1 cup of flour. Add in yeast and then gradually add one more cup of flour.
- Kneed for about 5 minutes.
- Let rise for a few minutes
- Flour a surface and roll out dough into about a 9x13 rectangle. (See pictures in post for detailed instructions) using a pizza cutter cut one- two at atime long ¼ inch strips. Roll onto hot dog.
- Stick the eyes inbetween the strips of dough. Becareful to not get the dough on the black part of the eye. It may bleed.
- Bake in oven at 425 for about 15-20 minutes. with about 5 minutes left, brush melted butter on tops to help create a nice golden brown top.
- combine ingredients. Stir. Serve