My little 4 year old has been begging me non-stop to make pigs-in-a-blanket. To which I normally would insert a nasty-face emoji. I REALLY don’t like those cresent rolls in a can and hot dogs. But he asked every single day, a few times a pigs in a blanket. We chose to make them homemade. Homemade dough, our choice of healthy organic hotdogs, and a homemade pigs-in-a-blanket sauce! Gah. They are SO SO good and ridiculously easy. They will be out of the oven within 30 minutes.
Start by making your dough, it does NOT need to rise. hallelujah. I don’t have time for rising bread these days.
Dust with flour, Roll it out into a thin (THIN!) rectangle. Cut in half hotdog style, and then into small triangles. (If you are going to do reg. sized hot dogs, do not cut in half hot dog style.)
Get your kids involved! They love this part.
Roll up and place on parchment paper. and BAKE!
When the pigs-in-a-blanket come out of the oven all hot and steamy brush a tiny bit of melted butter over tops.
The Ultimate Dipping Sauce
I know, this sounds silly, even once you know whats in the sauce you might smirk, but I’m telling you. The warm bread, garlicy hot dog with the this creamy tangy sauce is heaven! DON’T leave it out.
These little guys are also PERFECT little finger foods and travel so well. Pack them up for a picnic, to the beach, or send the kids out side on the patio to eat. No need for utensils and lots of dishes. OR serve them as snack or appetizer for when friends are over. They bake up so fast and everyone will love them.
These little guys are also PERFECT little finger foods and travel so well. Pack them up for a picnic, to the beach, or send the kids out side on the patio to eat. No need for utensils and lots of dishes.
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 Teas salt
- 1/2 Tbsp shortening
- 1/2 Tbsp yeast
- 1 + cups flour
- 1 package of your favorite hot dogs or 1 package of little smokies
- 1-2 TBS melted butter (optional
- 2 TBS ketchup
- 2 TBS mayo
- 2 tsp mustard
- Combine 1/2 cups of flour and remaining ingredients, putting yeast in LAST.
- Mix all ingredients until well blended and sticky. Slowly adding flour until dough forms a ball and pulls away from the side of the mixer.
- Let rise for a few minutes
- Flour a surface and roll out dough into about a 9x13 rectangle. (See pictures in post for detailed instructions) using a pizza cutter, cut into triangles.
- Place hot dog or little smokey at large side of triangle and roll up.
- Bake in oven at 425 for about 15-20 minutes. with about 5 minutes left, brush melted butter on tops to help create a nice golden brown top.
- combine ingredients. Stir. Serve