Buttery, fluffy and super spooky (yet crazy fast and easy) Witch Finger Breadsticks! The entire family will devour the entire batch in no time. They are THAT good.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR WITCH FINGER BREADSTICKS?
- warm water
- almonds (sliced or whole)
- garlic salt
HOW TO MAKE HALLOWEEN BREAD
You can shape the dough into many halloween shapes and form, but witches fingers is one of the fastest and realistic. It's also a great side for whatever dinner you are making for your fun yet busy halloween night!
What I love about this recipe is how simple and fast the dough is! Most bread recipes require hours of rising and lots of kneading. However, for this recipe you don't have to do that! This recipe-start to finish- will be done in less than an hour.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BREADSTICK DOUGH
- Add warm water and yeast to bowl. Let the yeast begin to poof.
- You can stir in sugar after a few minutes to help the feed the yeast.
- Turn on your stand mixer and start mixing while you add in your flour and remaining dough ingredients.
- You will want the dough to kneed for about 4 minutes.
- Cover with a clean towel and let it rise.
PROTIP: you know your dough is looking good when it is nice and elastic. The sides pull away from the bowl, but in your fingers its still sticky.
ROLLING OUT THE DOUGH
Now that the dough has risen it is time to roll and cut the breadsticks.
- place the dough on a lightly floured surface to avoid sticking.
- Roll it into a rectangle about the size of a jelly roll pan. You want the dough to be about ½ inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter slice the dough up into about 1 inch wide slices.
- Pour melted butter onto your jelly roll pan
- dip both sides of finger dough into pan and evenly space them out.
- They will rise so not too close.
ADD THE FINGERNAILS
Add your almonds now to the ends of the breadsticks. If you forget it is ok to add them after the second rise. I prefer to add them before they rise so the dough can form around them as they rise and better hold them in place.
WHAT DO I USE FOR THE FINGERNAILS
I LOVE using almonds. Sliced almonds or whole almonds are great. I prefer the whole almonds for because they tend to stay on better plus slivered almonds you really have to pick through the whole bag to find slices that are not broken. I did not find enough whole sliced almond pieces to fit all my breadsticks in the bag. So keep that in mind when deciding the kind of almonds. It might take 2 bags of sliced almonds to find enough whole pieces.
BAKING THE BREADSTICKS
Now that the breadsticks and fluffed up one more time put them in the oven and cook until they are a light golden brown. Get your butter and seasoning prepared while they are cooking.
While your breadsticks are cooking melt butter and add garlic salt. I like to brush this on right when they come out to help all the flavor infuse EVERYWHERE.
WHAT KIND OF SEASONINGS TO I PUT ON TOP?
This is something you can customize! I like to do a couple of TBS of butter + garlic salt and course salt. Here are some other ideas
- butter, garlic salt and powder parmesan cheese
- butter and garlic salt and dried parsley
- butter, garlic salt and onion salt
FINGERNAIL POPPED OFF! GOT A SOLUTION?
I DO! I have found a little dab of peanut butter will stick that nail right back on. If the nails are staying on a platter it works really great! if you are moving them around they still might slide a little, but its an easy fix.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER WITCH FINGER BREADSTICKS?
Store them in an airtight container or bag. They should keep for a few days like that. You can reheat them in the microwave or just pull them out to snack on.
WHAT CAN I SERVE THESE WITCH FINGERS WITH?
Breadsticks are so fun to serve with a dipping sauce like
- warm alfredo sauce
- cheese sauce
Or you can dip them in a warm soup like
If you tried these Witch Fingers Breadsticks or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Witch Fingers Breadsticks
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
- 3 cups flour about
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoon sugar
- In bowl mix warm water and yeast. Make sure yeast is good by letting it sit for a couple minutes and rise.
- Add sugar and salt. Start mixing and add flour till it is smooth and elastic.
- Let rise for 10 minutes in the bowl.
- Melt 1 cube of butter and pour in edged cookie sheet.
- Roll dough out in rectangle about the same size as the cookie sheet. Cut in 1" wide x 4" long strips using a pizza cutter. Roll in the butter, and then place on cookie sheet.
- Press almonds in one end of breadstick.
- Sprinkle with your favorite toppings such as: garlic salt, parmesan, parsley flakes, italian seasonings, seasoning salts.
- Let rise for 15-20 minutes more on the pan and then bake at 350 deg for about 10 minutes. Until the edges are just starting to turn a beautiful golden brown.