Need a one pan meal that has EVERYTHING + is done in 45 min or less? This creamy shrimp risotto recipe is hearty, filling and so delicious. Made with jumbo shrimp, peas and parmesan it's packed with flavor and much easier than you may think. Creamy and delicious comfort food!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This recipe is so delicious, has simple ingredients, and produces a creamy, dreamy dish without having to add much fat. But fat, we shall add. In the form of cheese. If you must, you may reduce the amount of parmesan cheese you add and it will still be fabulous. This is also a one pot meal for easy cleanup! This is one of the best shrimp risotto recipes I've tried.
What Is Risotto?
Risotto is an Italian dish made by cooking a starchy, short grain rice with stock or broth until it becomes creamy. The dish is often finished with butter or cheese.v
Because it’s made with just a few ingredients, there is a lot of emphasis on the cooking technique: adding tiny bits of broth, and stirring until the stock is absorbed, and then repeating.
About The Ingredients
All of the ingredients for this shrimp risotto recipe can be purchased at your local grocery store. Here are a few items to note:
- Fresh garlic - we are using lots of garlic in this dish. This gives the risotto depth and lots of flavor.
- Jumbo deveined, uncooked, shell-off shrimp - When it comes to purchasing shrimp, always choose fresh if available. The next best will be frozen. For this recipe you will need jumbo shrimp. There are about 16 shrimp per pound with this size.
- Arborio rice - this is a short grained rice that has a high starch content. When cooked slowly it releases the starch making this creamy risotto. This can be found near the grains or on the ethnic aisle.
- Chicken broth - you can also opt to use chicken stock for a deeper flavor. The rice and broth are the main components for this recipe, so make sure you choose a quality broth.
A complete list of ingredients is located in there recipe card below.
How to Make Perfect Risotto!
Risotto can be tricky to get right, but truly, this will be a party in your mouth no matter what. The key is to constantly stir. Consider it your bicep's friend.
Step 1: In a large saute pan or sauce pan, add extra virgin olive oil and butter. Heat over medium heat.
Step 2: Add in diced onions and minced garlic. Cook until fragrant.
Step 3: Add in raw large shrimp. For tender, non-rubberized shrimp, you must only cook it for the minimal amount of time. We're talking several minutes here, and that's it. This means that as soon as you start to see that those little suckers are opaque and pink, they are done. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
Tip: Always use raw shrimp for this recipe - if you opt for previously cooked your shrimp will turn out tough after cooking on the grill.
Step 4: Add in 1 pound of Arborio rice and stir and cook for 1 minute to toast the rice.
Step 5: Add in 1 cup of broth. Reduce heat to a simmer.
Step 6: Stir continuously until all liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step with remaining broth, one cup at a time, until rice is al dente. This process will take you about 40 min. The final risotto should be 'soupier' than your normal rice dish. On a plate, it should spread significantly, yet still keep some shape.
Pro Tip - With risotto, you stir stir stir. Add broth about a cup at a time, and stir until it is absorbed. Then add the next cup. You'll do this for a total of 7-8 cups.
Step 7: Add in your parmesan cheese and stir until combined and melted.
Step 8: Add in your peas.
Step 9: Stir to combine. When you serve it on a plate, risotto should spread out into a silky, spoonable pool.
Step 10: Top with cooked shrimp. You can also stir the shrimp into the dish to heat thru. Season with salt to taste, then top with freshly-cracked black pepper and parsley.
- Substitutes for shrimp - if you have an aversion to shrimp, you can sub chicken, or go protein-less. Sometimes I actually prefer a pure risotto. Something about mouthfuls of creamy, cheesy, soft rice without interruption screams bliss at me.
- Substitutes for peas - try asparagus or spinach.
- Additions - try adding some fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or thyme. You can also add some lemon zest and lemon juice to your shrimp for a tasty lemony shrimp.
- Cheese - try using white cheddar. Or try omitting the cheese altogether.
- Wine - sub ½ cup of broth for dry white white.
- Shrimp - When it comes to purchasing shrimp, always choose fresh if available. The next best will be frozen. For this recipe you will need jumbo shrimp. There are about 16 shrimp per pound with this size.
- Cooking Risotto - when it comes this shrimp risotto recipe, you stir stir stir. Add broth about a cup at a time, and stir until it is absorbed. Then add the next cup. You'll do this for a total of 7-8 cups.
- Knowing when risotto is done cooking - The final risotto should be 'soupier' than your normal rice dish. On a plate, it should spread significantly, yet still keep some shape. The rice should also have and al dente texture.
Risotto Recipe FAQ
Risotto is a creamy, rice dish made with short-grain Italian Arborio rice. The rice is starchy enough to thicken and create its own sauce.
No, risotto is the name of the dish made with Arborio rice.
You can store this prepared dish in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make sure it is cooled before transferring to the fridge. Reheated risotto may have a slightly different texture because the rice cooks more when reheated.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
If you liked this risotto recipe, you'll love:
- Lemon Quinoa - If you like this shrimp with risotto, you will love our lemon quinoa. Made with fresh ingredients with a punch of flavor.
- Lemon Pesto Cauliflower Rice - just like risotto and shrimp - this lemon pesto cauliflower rice has a fresh burst of peas and a nice creamy texture.
- Smoked White Shells - creamy and dreamy like this risotto with shrimp, our smoked shells will give you that comfort food you're looking for.
Don't Be Shy!
If you tried this Creamy Shrimp Risotto Recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Creamy Shrimp Risotto Recipe
- Saute pan
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp deveined, uncooked, shell-off
- 1 pound Arborio rice
- 7-8 c chicken broth optional to replace ½-1 c liquid with white cooking wine
- 2 c parmesan cheese freshly grated
- ½ c sweet peas frozen or fresh
- parsley as garnish
- Saute the garlic and onion in olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add in shrimp, and cook until just barely opaque and light pink.
- Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
- Add rice to sauted garlic and onions, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer, and pour in 1 cup broth while stirring. Continue to stir until all of the broth is absorbed.
- Add in remaining broth 1 cup at a time, ensuring each cup is absorbed before adding the next.
- Rice should be 'al dente'. Slowly mix in cheese a little bit at a time, then peas, and finally shrimp. Heat for 1-2 minutes while stirring until all combined.
- Salt as needed, top with fresh-cracked black pepper and parsley.