This side dish is so tasty! I recently served this alongside my caribbean cod with strawberry mango pico, and the combo was heaven.
When I think of Caribbean food, I think of bright flavors and fresh ingredients. This rice combines a sweet and spicy rice and creamy black beans. It has a little crunch of onion and a bold splash of cilantro.
You'll feel like you are dining under a grass cabana at sunset next to clear turquoise waters while you eat this rice. Okay, maybe you can pretend.
Put this on your dinner menu, and let this recipe take you back to the caribbean.
Caribbean Rice & Beans
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can black beans riced and drained
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ bunch cilantro minced
- In a large stock pot melt coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add rice, black beans, cinnamon, paprika, bouillon and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in cilantro.