Rumbi Island Grill was one of my favorite places to go in college. They made this amazing teriyaki rice bowl that I loved to get. Half steak, half grilled chicken, lots of fresh veggies, ride and beans. They had a teriyaki sauce that knocked it all out of the park. We don’t lived by any of these restaurants anymore, so we often recreate this amazing teriyaki rice bowl at home.
How to Make Teriyaki Rice Bowls
I start by preparing my rice- it takes the longest to cook.After you have started your rice, in a separate sauce pan you’ll start making your teriyaki sauce. Add all the ingredients and let your sauce simmer right along side your white. While that is cooking I’ll grill up some protein, typically chicken or a nice steak. While the meat is resting, rice & sauce is simmering chop up your veggies. They will only take a few minutes to steam so cook them very last. I wait until everything else is done. You want your veggies to be a little bit tender and a little bit firm- definitely not soggy or too soft.
Drizzle as much or as little teriyaki sauce over your entire bowl of veggies :) we typically like a LOT! This meal has maybe a few extra steps than your usual, but it really does not take a lot of time. If I’m organized this meal can be done in about 30-40 minutes. You can also choose to cook a variety of different veggies- whatever your family loves!
It’s also really yummy to serve this with a this Coconut Rice! Oh, and I should add, when I’m steaming my veggies I just throw in my beans at that point too! but You can find all those instructions down in the recipe card. + like these Bamboo Utensils? They are so fun!! I’ll link all my favorite products from this post right here :)
- 1/2-1 C water
- 2 cups carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks, washed and sliced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped into small cubes (yellow and green mix it up:)
- 1 c. chopped broccoli florets
- 3 grilled chicken breasts- cut into small cubes
- 1 can red beans
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce!
- 1 c. teriyaki sauce (found in the grocery store by the BBQ sauces)
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/2-2 tsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- In large skillet add water, beans, carrots, celery, zucchini, and broccoli.
- Steam until vegetables are crisp tender. About 5 minutes.
- Combine teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, ginger, salt, and brown sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a seperate bowl and SLOWLY add to sauce for thickening.
- Allow to simmer for about a minute.
- Cool to room temperature and serve with your rice bowls.
- Layer Rice, Grilled Chicken or steak (or both!) chopped veggies and Teriyaki Sauce on top.
- Serve immediately