Congrats to our Mazola Grill Pack Giveaway Winner Danielle!!
My mom would always make us our very favorite meal on our birthday. Anyone else with this birthday tradition? They couldn't afford to take our whole family out to dinner, but as kids we didn't care- getting to choose dinner was enough of a treat.
So when we got married, the first birthday rolled around and naturally I asked my husband what his favorite meal is so I can make it for his birthday dinner. His answer was stuffed shells. While this isn't probably his all time favorite meal now-a-days (he'll probably go for something seafood or curry) I still will make it for his birthday every other year or so. It kinda means somethin' special to me. His birthday was not too long ago, so I decided to put my "dump method" into measurments and put it in my recipe box.
This version of stuffed shells is much like a lasagna type filling. There are all kinds of stuffed shells, many of them with sausage. This is our favorite.
Boil your shells, and prepare your stuffing:
It's also a G R E A T meal to prepare with children. They have so much fun stuffing the shells.
Top with sauce and cheese, cover and bake.
Enjoy a filling, healthy ooey-gooey cheesy dinner.
Three Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells
- 1 box of large pasta shells
- 15 ounces Ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup spinach
- 10 large basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- few twists of the pepper grinder
- 1 lb ground turkey or beef optional
- 1 28 ounces jar of marinara sauce
- Boil pasta shells according to directions, set aside.
- If using a meat sauce, cook and prepare meat combine with marinara sauce. set aside.
- in a mixing bowl lightly beat eggs, then add ricotta, parmesan cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Chop spinach and basil, add to cheese with salt and pepper.
- mix well.
- Place about 1 Tablespoon filling into shells. When pan is full, top with sauce, remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
Erin V says
I've lived a life without stuffed shells!!! So glad I'm learning now; never too late to stuff some shells
Rachael A says
Wow these look great. I have been looking for a stuffed shell pasta bake for a while now and this is perfect - can't wait to give it a go!