With love in the air for Valentine's I wanted to make a delicious snack hack using healthy sugar free ingredients! Of course it had to be pink, or red, or both! So My kids and I came up with this crazy good ombre strawberry grapefruit smoothie!
It is grapefruit season and my children have been completely obsessed. So much so that they beg for grapefruit for their lunches. I've been getting them Dole Sunshine ruby red grapefruit bowls since they cant exactly dissect a grapefruit during lunch. We took these grapefruit bowls, frozen fruit blend (also Dole's strawberry, peaches, banana blend) and frozen strawberries to create this sweet and tart OMBRE strawberry grapefruit smoothie
How to make an ombre strawberry grapefruit smoothie
Start by adding grapefruit and juice into bottom of the blender. You'll need about 2 cups grapefruit and juice total. about 4 fruit cups.
I added 1 individual sized vanilla greek yogurt to add creaminess and protein to the smoothie. 1 entire bag (12 oz) of frozen fruit and blended these ingredients. I didn't have to add any additional liquid because of the grapefruit juice!
To make it ombre: Blend completely. Then separate about ¼ of the smoothie into a cup/container and put it in the freezer. Add a handful of frozen strawberries to the remaining smoothie. Separate another ¼ into a container and store in freezer. You'll do this 3 times. Each time you add 5 frozen strawberries to the remaining smoothie so that it gets darker and darker. I've included a video tutorial in this post to help!
For a dramatic effect make sure each separated portion is really thick and cold so that when poured on top it will not mix down into it.
Health Benefits from this smoothie
Our family loved the sweetness from the strawberries, the delicious flavor from the grapefruit and the creaminess of the yogurt. This smoothie was so fast and easy to make. Loaded with vitamin C, calcium and protein. Plus, no added sugar just natural sweetness. If you do find that your smoothies are bitter from the grapefruit crop (not exactly something you can control) you can add some sugar or honey. If you you need more liquid you can add apple juice, milk or a vanilla almond milk.
This letter board was a hit on our instagram. Perfect for valentines. Conversations with my boyfriend.
Strawberry Grapefruit Smoothie
- 2 cups grapefruit and juice I used 4 Dole Ruby Red Grapefruit fruit bowls
- 12 ounces frozen fruit blend with strawberries I used Dole Sunshine strawberries, banana and peaches
- 5-6 ounces vanilla greek yogurt (you can use any complimentary flavor)
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- 4 separate cups or containers to divide smoothie
- In blender add grapefruit, frozen fruit, greek yogurt and blend. Pour out ¼ of the smoothie into separate container and freeze.
- Add 1 cup strawberries into blender and blend again. Remove ¼ of smoothie into container and freeze.
- Add 1 cup of strawberries into blender and remaining smoothie and blend. Remove half of smoothie into container and freeze.
- Add last cup of strawberries and blend. Pour remaining smoothie into container and freeze. Allow smoothie to chill for 20-30 minutes until firm for best ombre effect. pour darkest smoothie to lightest into cups.