The BIG DADDY of mac and cheeses!! This has aged cheeses, little bit of heat, salty bacon, crunchy bread crumbs and a salty bacon. This Smac n cheese is the ultimate mac n cheese! Inspired by one of our favorite restaurants in LA the Nickel Diner, I know your whole family will love this dish.
INGREDIENTS FOR SMAC N CHEESE
These are some of the key ingredients are what make this mac n cheese different. Special and DELICIOUS!
- 4 cheeses- Gruyere, Sharp Cheddar cheese, Pepper Jack and Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis
PRO TIP FOR ANY AND ALL MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES
No matter what mac n cheese recipe you're making my biggest pro tip or secret ingredient is to use SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE. If you're worried the cheddar flavor will be too strong don't. By the time you add in milk, broth to your roux your cheddar will be the perfect flavor. A milder cheddar will only be drowned out by the flavor- almost bland.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE GRUYERE CHEESE?
YES! if you can't find the cheese in the specialty cheese section- try fontina or provolone.
HOW CAN I MAKE SMAC N CHEESE GLUTEN FREE?
These ingredients are what I used to make this recipe gluten free!
- gluten free noodles
- cup-4-cup flour for the roux
- gluten free bread crumbs
HOW TO MAKE SMAC N CHEESE
- On Medium heat start by melting your butter adding in your garlic and flour. Whisk them together until smooth and let bubble for a minute.
- Slowly whisk in milk and broth
- Once thickened and smooth add in canned tomatoes, stir.
- Now stir in your cheeses.
Continue adding in ingredients
- boiled noodles
- stir all together
DO I HAVE TO BAKE THIS MAC N CHEESE?
At these stage you and 100% serve the mac n cheese. It's warm creamy and delicious! Especially if you are in a time crunch. BUT if you want a little delicious cheesy bacon crunch I highly recommend you bake this bad boy.
STEPS TO BAKING MAC N CHEESE
- You can use either individual oven save dishes or a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add more cheddar cheese
- Top with bacon
- Top with bread crumbs!
Now, You can bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until it is warmed through.
PROTIP: if you're using individual bowls, bake them all on a baking sheet for easy removal from the oven.
It's hot and bubbly, you can devour! looking for some amazing sides? Try some of my favorites!!
Instant Pot Ribs, Instant Pot Bone-In Chicken, Steak Skewers
Let's Be BFFs
If you make this recipe, please come back and leave me a comment! I love hearing from you all! For fresh and new recipes make sure you're following us on Facebook and Instagram!
S’mac n Cheese
- 1 lb elbow noodles
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes with green chilis can sub with dice tomatoes
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1.5 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup fontina or Gruyere, or provolone cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- itialian seasoning bread crumbs
- 6 basil leaves- chopped
- 10 bacon strips cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Boil noodles till al dente, set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and minced garlic and stir together. Let bubble for about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in broth and milk. Continue stirring and let sauce thicken, but do not let boil. This will scald the milk. When sauce is smooth stir in tomatoes. Add all cheese except 1 cup sharp cheddar. Add in half the bacon and basil.
- Pour sauce over noodles and stir to combine.
- Top with remaining cheddar, bacon, basil, and sprinkle bread crumbs over- to your desired thickness.
- Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Till cheese is melted and its warmed through.
Erin V says
instant classic no doubt
Diana Lee says
I need this meal in my life!