If you are in a breakfast rut, or trying to eat a little healthier and lean in the mornings you have to try frittata!! I love them because they are lean, cook quickly and also easy to change up! This is a family favorite sausage and parmesan frittata, however you can add or take away different ingredients as you please! This makes for a especially special mothers day brunch meal.
What is a frittata?
A frittata is basically baked eggs. Yes, very similar to quiche but sans the bread crust.
How to make sausage and egg frittata
- I love to use my cast iron pan. You can use it from start to finish! if you don’t have one us an oven proof stainless steel.
- Cook up your ground sausage.
- Chop up your veggies and soften them in the pan with the ground sausage.
4. Beat the eggs until they’re nice and frothy and pour into the hot pan, top with cheese. Let the edges set. Then throw it in a pre-heated oven! it’ll only take about 5 minutes to cook from there :)
Feel free to add in other veggies or different meats. I love to add some chopped spinach, tomatoes (or fresh made salsa)
TIP: Make sure you cast iron pan (or any pan) is well greased, or non-stick. If you’re cast iron pan is in need of seasoning again so it will remain non-stick check out this article from Real Simple about how to season them again.
Make them up for mothers day, with a bunch of fresh fruit and nice hot cup of tea! She will be in heaven.
Quick Frittata Recipe:
Quick, easy and healthy frittata recipe.
- 8 eggs
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 T milk
- 1 tsp salt
- parmesan cheese
- cilantro optional garnish
- 1 cup chopped spinach
In a well seasoned cast iron skillet or oven-safe pan, sauté the breakfast sausage til almost cooked through.
Add in your seeded and sliced bell pepper and continue to cook until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.
In a large bowl whisk eggs, salt and milk together until frothy. Pour over sausage and bell pepper.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and continue to cook until edges are set.
Meanwhile preheat broiler. When edges are starting to set, place pan in the oven and cook until center is set, about 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and serve. Garnish with cilantro or however your heart desires!