An oreo crust, sweet and gooey filling, cool ice cream, and chocolate sauce. That is a recipe made in heaven! This Mud Pie Recipe is fast, easy, and so dang good. Let me show you just how to do it!
What exactly is Mud Pie?
There are a few versions of mud pie. One is made with ice cream, which is what we are doing here, and one is made with pudding. They both include an Oreo crust, chocolate sauce, and then other ice cream or pudding. The ice cream version traditionally has much ice cream, but we prefer vanilla. You can really use whatever ice cream flavor you love - we often do chocolate too.
This is one of my favorite desserts. It was often requested as my birthday dessert when I was a kid and I love sharing this dessert with friends. This is my mom's recipe and a true love of mine. I loooooooove the crust. I could just eat the crust. Trust me, you'll understand after you make this!
What Do I Need To Make Mud Pie Recipe?
For this recipe you'll need the following:
- a 14.3 oz package of oreo cookies
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- ½ gallon of ice cream, softened (vanilla, chocolate, or mocha)
- chocolate sauce for garnish
Recipe Step-by-Step Directions
This dessert is so simple to whip up and it is so delicious. I've made this time and time over for friends who just had babies and I always receive praises!
1. Crush Oreos in a blender, food processor, or place in a zipper bag and roll with a rolling pin.
2. In a medium bowl combing butter and Oreo crumbs.
3. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
4. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk on top of Oreo layer. Smooth to cover the entire top.
5. Top with softened ice cream.
6. Smooth the top with a warm metal spatula. Freeze overnight.
7. Cut into squares.
8. Top with chocolate sauce.
Tips: To get the ice cream layer even, run a metal spatula under warm water and spread over the ice cream to smooth out.
Mud Pie Recipe FAQs
Traditionally mocha ice cream is used in mud pie, but feel free to use vanilla or chocolate if you prefer!
Mud pie flavor is generally coffee with cookie bits.
This dessert is called mud pie because of its appearance. The layers of cookie, ice cream, and chocolate resemble mud.
Keep this in the freezer for up to 2 months.
I love ice cream desserts! Do You have other recipes?
We do! Check out our:
GIVE US YOUR FEEDBACK!
If you tried this mud pie recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Mud Pie Recipe
- 14.3 ounces Oreo cookies (1 full package)
- ½ cup butter melted
- 14 ounces can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ gallon ice cream (mocha, chocolate, or vanilla) softened
- Pulse oreo cookies in your blendtec or food processor until crumbled. Or - place in a ziplock bag and roll with a rolling pin.
- Combine cookie crumbs and melted butter.
- Spray 9x13 cake pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment and press cookie mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top of cookie mixture and smooth with a spatula.
- Spread softened ice cream on top of sweetened condensed milk mixture and smooth with a spatula.
- Freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Serve with hot fudge or chocolate sauce on top.
Emily Kemp says
This looks so delicious and I love how easy it is too!
Shawne Jones says
Nice and simple