The fastest, most delicious, easy peasy french bread recipe IN THE WORLD!! Legit love this easy french bread recipe and have had so many friends say the same and put it in their permanent recipe box! Once you try it you won’t be able to stop too!
This bread is quick and will be ready in only about an hour! Bread making can be no joke, it can take hours for kneading, rising, baking but this recipe cuts out all that time and work yet creates a perfectly fluffy, soft french bread with incredible flavor.
How to make perfect fluffy french bread
Start by using a really great yeast. I love this brand saf-instant.
How do I store yeast? How long is Yeast good for?
If you store your yeast in an air tight container in your fridge it will be good for several months. You can always test whether your yeast is still alive and active by sprinkling a little of it in warm water. You can even add a little sugar for the yeast to feed on. If the yeast foams and bubbles then its still active and ready use in your bread.
How to add dry ingredients to bread dough
- Mix in the sugar and salt with the warm water. The sugar helps to feed the yeast before adding in loads of flour.
Slowly add your dry ingredients, while mixing with your dough hook. Add the first 4 cups one at a time, allowing it to knead together. *If you want to add in herbs for a rustic herb french bread add them in now. Add the next two cups very slowly- 1/2 cup at a time, then let it knead for a few minutes, then add another 1/2 cup. You want to add flour until the dough pulls away from the sides.DON’T over flour it or the bread will turn out dry. Just add flour till it pulls away from the sides.
How to make bread loaves
- Divide the dough into two even balls and hand shape them into two smooth dough cylinders.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper. Have you tried these parchment paper sheets? I love them!
*if you want to make these with a delicious herb flavor roll the dough in chopped herbs.
3. Take a sharp smooth knife (not serrated) and cut shallow slits on the top of your bread diagonally.
Allow bread loaves to rise for 20 minutes, or until they double in size. If your kitchen is cool they make take a little longer to rise.
Pro tip: To help keep them warm place a clean dish towel over them or set them next to a window with sun.
Bake them for about 25 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Then take your melted butter and brush the beautiful golden crust with it.
You’ll find this homemade easy french read recipe has the most delicious crusty crust and soft, fluffy inside. Adding the herbs makes you feel like you’re sitting in a delicious cafe, dipping it in balsamic vinegar and the finest olive oil. Which, I totally did, after taking one bite.
Want to make a french baguette?
You can totally take this recipe and turn it into a homemade baguette! just divide the dough into 4 loaves and roll them skinner and longer! adjust the cooking time, cook just until they’re golden brown.
What to serve this with?
Make this recipe?
If you tried this Easy French Bread or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Fluffy, delcioius crusty easy french bread recipe.
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 T yeast
- 2 T sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 4-6 cups flour
- 2 T melted butter
- *2 tsp fresh thyme (leaves removed from stem)
- *2 tsp fresh rosemary (removed from stem)
- 2 tsp oregano leaves dried or fresh
- In a large mixing bowl (I use my kitchen aid and dough hook) dissolve yeast into water. Let sit for a few minutes to grow and bubble.
- Add salt, sugar and start mixer on slow speed.
- Slowly mix in the 4 cups of flour, increasing to med speed. *if adding in herbs mix in 1 tsp thyme, rosemary and oregano leaves. Once smooth add 1/2 cup flour at a time, letting it mix for 1-2 minutes until incorporated then adding another 1/2 cup. When the dough is smooth, elastic and pulls away from the sides stop mixing.
- Cover and let rise (about 10 minutes).
- Divide into two loaves. *Combine remains spices (1 tsp rosemary, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp oregano) and roll top of dough in them.
- Pinch ends together and score with sharp smooth knife.
- Let rise, about 20 minutes here- or doubled in size.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 25 minutes or until done.
- Brush top with melted butter and serve hot!
* optional ingredients. You don't have to make this a rustic herb french bread. To keep it a simply fluffy white french bread omit the herbs in the ingredients.
If your kitchen is on the cool side cover loaves with a clean dish towel to help the bread rise.