Birthday Cake Baked Donuts are the perfect colorful treat for all occasions!
Why Birthday Cake Baked Donuts work
Birthday cake donuts are a colorful baked donut. Many kids (including some of my own) don't want a traditional birthday cake so I'm showing how to make easy cake donuts at home. You can top them with glaze, sugar, and more!
What's the difference between a cake donut and a regular donut
A Cake donut is typically made from a batter like cake where you use baking soda and powder as a levener. It's texture is more dense like a cake also. A regular donut batter is made from yeast and typically fried so it has a lighter fluffier texture.
Important must have to make donuts birthday cake
- donut pan. I ordered a set off amazon, but you can grab them in stores too.
- standard baking ingredients like flour, sugar and butter
- sprinkles- you can choose according to a holiday or make it rainbow for a fun birthday theme. These help the donuts to be more festive!
How to make birthday cake baked donuts
Step 1 cream together your butter, white sugar, brown sugar and eggs.
Step 2 Continue to add in ingredients. You baking soda and baking powder and vanilla.
Step 3: alternate milk and flour while beating.
Now make your donuts PARTY donuts
Add in your sprinkles! Stir together until well combined.
How to fill your donut pan
This is the easiest and cleanest way to fill your donut pan.
- Line a large cup (20oz +) with a gallon size bag, folding the bag outside of the cup.
- Fill with your batter
- twist the top right next to the batter fill line so there is no air in the bag.
- Cut the tip about ½ inch from the tip.
Pipe in your donuts to the rim
Using a non-stick spray generously coat the donut pan and add in the batter just to the rim. If The batter is too much over it'll over flow into the center of the donut.
Bake your donuts
At 425 bake your donuts for 10 minutes. Wait 5-10 minutes before turning your donuts out.
What do I top on my donuts?
You can do a few different toppings to these donuts!
- vanilla glaze
- chocolate glaze (see this recipe)
- powder sugar
- cinnamon sugar
For cinnamon sugar and powder sugar just shake the donuts in a bag while warm.
How to make a vanilla glaze.
In a bowl beat your vanilla, milk and powder sugar until smooth.
Dip your donut in the icing.
How to add sprinkles
- dip your donut face down into the bowl of glaze.
- Hold the donut over the bowl for about 30 seconds for extra glaze to drip off.
- Immediately dip your donut in sprinkles.
- If you wait with glaze it will harden and sprinkles will not stick to the donut.
PROTIP: Let your donuts rest on a cooling rack after frosting with glaze so it will drop off through the grid instead of pooling on the plate.
You can store them in an air tight container at room temp for 2-3 days and longer in the fridge.
Yes! use 1 to 1 cup-4-cup flour as a substitute for flour
Other Birthday Cake Recipes?
Keep In Touch
If you tried these Birthday Cake Baked Donuts or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Birthday Cake Baked Donuts
- ¼ c butter
- ¼ c oil
- ½ c granulated sugar
- ⅓ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ⅔ c all-purpose flour
- 1 c milk
- ½ cup sprinkles of choice
- 1 ½ c powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425, grease doughnut pan.
- Beat butter, oil, and sugars in medium bowl. Add eggs, beat. Stir in powder, soda, salt, extracts, and coconut. Stir the flour into the butter alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour, just until combined.
- Place an open gallon size bag into large cup so that it lines the inside of the cup. Spoon batter into the bag, close bag. Cut one bottom corner off the bag. Pipe batter into each doughnut well.
- Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven. Let rest in pan a couple of minutes, then remove to cooling rack.
- For glaze whisk ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.
- Once doughnuts have cooled, dip tops in icing. Twice. Then garnish with sprinkles immediately.
These look amazing can’t wait to try! Just looking at the ingredients and noticed the icing ingredients are repetitive and have different amounts. I’m a little confused.
Sorry I am just starting to make gluten free stuff since my daughters good friend can’t have it. Could you please explain the gluten free option?
Sure, there is a brand called Cup-4-Cup you can grab at most grocery stores. I have found this brand to be the best flour substitute. You would use it JUST like you would regular flour. The batter will be a little more thick/gluey than you are used to but it always turns out nice and fluffy for me!
Thank you so much!!
Emily Kemp says
These are the prettiest doughnuts I've ever seen, can't wait to make them!