I have such a good recipe for you today! This Chocolate Harvest Cake has been on my todo list for a long long time, and I am finally sharing! I discovered this recipe back when I was a newly wed. I made it several times for parties and friends, and it is always so well loved.
This is not your standard, run-of-the-mill chocolate cake. This cake has a pumpkin cream cheese filling, chocolate ganache, and fresh fruit topping. It is the perfect perfect cake for these fall months. You can really dress your cake with whatever fall fruits you’d like – seedless grapes, blueberries, and even nuts are really delicious on this chocolate harvest cake.
Chocolate Harvest Cake For A Party
Tis the season for gatherings with friends and family – and as you may know, a party without a cake is just a meeting. This dessert will make you the hero of the get-to-gether, and even if your baking skills are minimal, I promise you can pull off this cake. When I first started making this cake I was VERY new to baking and it still went off without a hitch.
The base of this cake is a moist chocolate cake made with sour cream. The rich chocolate cake is the perfect compliment to the creamy filling and gooey ganache topping. Even my kids can’t resist this cake. The first words out of my kindergartner’s mouth when he arrived home were “Can I have a piece of that cake?”
Here I’ve garnished the cake with some pears, raspberries, and blackberries – which all scream fall harvest to me. And there is something about chocolate and pumpkin together that are a match made in heaven.
What You’ll Need
There are a few tools that making baking much much easier. The first is a stand mixer. I’m partial to Kitchenaid. Here I used my Artisan Mini – the perfect size for more projects, and it takes up less room in your kitchen. A good set of measuring cups is a near second. You’ll also need some cake pans – round for this recipe. I’ve linked a few favorites here:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup pumpin puree
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Rapsberries blackberries, blueberries, pears, nuts...whatever you like!
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 8 inch round cake pans.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top springs back when touched.
- Cool in pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble cake, layer one round cake, pumpkin cream cheese filling, second round cake, chocolate ganache, and cake toppers.
- Mix all ingredients until well combined.
- In a small saucepan heat whipping cream to a simmer. Turn off heat.
- Add chocolate chips and let sit for 4 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth