Gooey, hot, melted fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and flavorful pesto come together to create this caprese dip that you will NOT be able to put down. It throws together in seconds and will be a crowd pleaser across the board and seasons.
WHAT IS CAPRESE?
Caprese consists of typically three ingredients-
- fresh mozzarella
- fresh basil
- fresh tomatoes
I love any form or combination of these three things. I mean, check out some of these recipes haha (caprese roll ups, caprese salad, caprese zoodles) You can add additional spices and ingredient to add to these three base ingredients- like garlic, pesto, salt and it just enhances flavor.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS DIP?
For this dip you will need
- Fresh mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
- Ripe cherry tomatoes cut in half
- balsamic glaze- optional
WHAT KIND OF PESTO DO I USE?
You can use either fresh homemade pesto or homemade pesto! It is important to USE IT though. Pesto has added herbs and flavors like garlic, pine nuts and all the concentrated basil flavor. You want this in your dip.
WHERE DO I FIND FRESH MOZZARELLA
Some grocery stores do not place fresh mozzarella by the cheese/dairy isle. Check in the specialty cheese section of the grocery store- usually this is over by the deli. Fresh mozzarella come in log form (as pictured) sliced and not sliced, or as mozzarella balls. you can use either.
HOW TO MAKE HOT AND MELTY CAPRESE DIP?
- In your dish, or cast iron skillet, add your tomatoes.
- Toss your tomatoes in the pesto.
- Lightly season your tomatoes with sea salt
TOPPINGS FOR HOT CAPRESE DIP
WHAT DO I BAKE CAPRESE DIP IN?
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH THIS DIP?
- french bread slices
- baguette sliced
CAPRESE DIP IS GLUTEN-FREE
Because this dip is gluten-free it is so great to serve for your gluten intolerant friends and family. I highly recommend picking up some gluten-free crackers to go with. My favorite are Crunchmaster Crackers. They have a delicious nutty flavor and a great crunchy texture that can hold up to the cheese.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
If you tried these cheese fries or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup pesto
- 16 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella
- 1 tsp salt
- 5-10 basil leaves, chopped
- In medium bowl mix together tomatoes, pesto and salt.
- In 10 inch cast iron pan add tomatoes and pesto mixture. In a single layer, lay sliced mozzarella on top on tomatoes. Sprinkle with fresh mozzarella
- Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes. Just until cheese is melted. Do not let cheese over-cook or it will harden too quickly.
- Serve with crunchmaster crackers and baguettes