Beef and Broccoli is a fast, delicious easy week night dinner for any family! We love making it now in our pressure cooker. Pressure cooker beef and broccoli comes out tender and delicious! You use the same sauce and ingredients, it's just done to perfection! If you don't have a pressure cooker, no worries! This recipe on the stove-top is amazing too.
When I was a kid I fell in love with beef and broccoli stuck to it. Didn't want anything else. No sweet n' sour, not anything. My parents were kind and always would get a carton of it. Beef and broccoli is now my children's favorite too! So much so that we love to make it for ourselves.
How to make Beef and Broccoli
When making this beef and broccoli I must tell you that the cooking wine, or rice wine vinegar is important! It adds a third dimension to the sauce. That cannot be overlooked. It adds a nice 'savory' flavor. Savory is NOT salty, or sweet- its a whole different category. I won't get all Alton Brown on you here, just trust me and use one of them.
Start by sautéing some onions in oil. Coat the meat in the corn starch and add to oil/onions. Brown the meat while stirring the sauce ingredients together.
From here you'll want to simmer together, or start your pressure cooker.
Pressure Cooker Instructions
This Recipe can easily be adapted for the Pressure Cooker! As busy moms we really have grown to appreciate our pressure cookers. To make this recipe start by browning your onion and beef in a few tbs of oil. After a few minutes, when onion is tender add sauce ingredients to pressure cooker. Seal with lid and manually enter 12 min. Allow pressure cooker to natural release when done.
Adding the broccoli
There are different ways you can cook the broccoli.
1. if on stove-top add the prepared broccoli the end for a few minutes while simmering.You dont want the broccoli to be soggy, more like a crisp tender. This just takes a few minutes.
*2. For pressure cooker beef and broccoli you can steam broccoli in microwave for 6 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir into pressure cooker. Serve it all over rice! THis is my preferred method.
3. After the pressure cooker has natural released, you can toss the broccoli in and cook manual high for 1 minute.
Serve over noodles or rice. I now have a 3 qt pressure cooker and love to use it for sides like this.I'll cook my rice while the meat is going and they'll all be done about the same time. A very quick, easy, healthy family dinner!
Beef and Broccoli
Be it stove-top or pressure cooker, this'll come out deeelicious.Print Rate
Servings: 4 people
- 2 crowns of broccoli washed and cut
- 1 lb of steak thinly sliced or cubed
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 3 Tablespoon corn starch
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of cooking white wine or oyster sauce, or rice wine vinegar **
- 1 + cup water
- 1 small onion chopped OR 2 green onions chopped.
- In a pan brown the thinly sliced steak in hot oil. If you are using a REGULAR onion add now and brown with beef.
- While beef is browning, in a separate bowl add water, corn starch, bouillon and white wine/oyster sauce/rice wine vinegar.
- When Beef is just barely browned on both sides turn heat down and add soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar and your nice heaping spoonful of garlic. you can add two if you want.
- Bring heat a back up and add your water mixture (haha, that sounds pleasant).
- Stir till combined. bring to a bubbly simmer.
- Now add broccoli and green onions (if you chose green).
- Cook till broccoli is at desired tenderness. If sauce is a too thick for your liking mix in a couple tbps of water at a time till desired consistency.
- Serve over your preferred rice. maybe with a side of won-tons?!
PRESSURE COOKER DIRECTIONS
- On saute setting saute onion. Toss beef in cornstarch and brown with onions in instant pot until onions are softened and beef is browned- just a few minutes.
- While beef is browning, in a separate bowl add water, bouillon and white wine or rice wine vinegar.
- Add water, ginger, garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, bullion to pressure cooker. Add ingredient from separate bowl too.
- Stir till combined.
- Seal pressure cooker, cook on manual/high for 12 minutes. Allow pressure cooker to slow/natural release.
- If choosing option to microwave broccoli do it now. In microwave steam chopped broccoli for 6 minutes. Remove access water.When pressure cooker is finished combine broccoli with beef and sauce.
If choosing to cook broccoli in pressure cooker add to pressure cooker, cook one minute and quick release.
- Serve over rice.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 69mg | Sodium: 1247mg | Potassium: 1345mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1910IU | Vitamin C: 273.7mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 4.7mg
Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @OhSoDelicioso or tag #ohsodelicioso!
This is incredible!! my kids LOVE it!!
Clarifying questions - Is the broccoli cooked in the pressure cooker or separately? Also for the beef - in the video it looks like the corn starch is added when raw then beef is browned. Written and video instructions seem to conflict. Thanks!
In the post I explained a couple of ways to cook the broccoli so you can choose which is easiest- you just don't want to cook it in the instant pot for a long time with the meat and sauce. Either microwave or add it in the instant pot for 1 minute high pressure.
I've updated the recipe card with the cornstarch! but you can add it to the sauce or coat the meat! haha Thanks for catching that I thought I had already fixed that