These cucumber sandwiches where quite a hit at the Easter Beach Party with Small Fry and Land of Nod. How could they not be with those darling bunnies hopping around? .. see the entire Easter Collection from Land of Nod HERE.
English Cucumber sandwiches are just about the perfect thing for a party. Light and refreshing, with a splash of mint, your guests will go crazy.
The key to being successful with these sandwiches is getting as much water out of the cucumbers as you can. After peeling and thinly slicing the cucumbers, spread them out over paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and allow to rest for at least 1/2 hour. This will pull the water out of the cucumbers, then just pat dry before layering them with your cream cheese and mint leaves! So delicious. Go ahead and make them ahead of time, the flavors will have more time to mix and mingle. Serve chilled with some darling toppers.
- 8 Slices of White Bread
- 1 large Cucumber
- Whipped Cream Cheese
- Handful of Fresh Mint Leaves
- Start by peeling and then thinly slicing your cucumber.
- Spread pieces of cucumber in a single layer on paper towels.
- Generously sprinkle salt over the cucumbers. This draws the water out of the cucumbers so that your sandwiches don't become soggy. Allow to rest for at least 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, rinse and pat mint leaves dry. Chiffonade your mint leaves and set aside.
- When cucumbers are done, pat dry.
- Butter 1 side of all 8 pieces of bread. This helps prevents moisture from reaching the bread.
- Then spread a thin layer of whipped cream cheese on each side of bread.
- Taking one piece of bread, sprinkle a few mint leaves on to the cream cheese.
- Layer cucumber slices. 2-3 deep.
- Top with a few more mint leaves and another slice of bread.
- With a sharp knife cut off crusts, and cut into in half twice to make 4 triangles.
- Serve chilled!
To store, place in a container with paper towel in between each layer. Keep refrigerated. Sandwiches can be made ahead of time and stored for hours.
This post was done in collaboration with Small Fry, click to see their party ideas. All food by Oh So Delicioso.
Photography by Ashlee Raubach