As we meandered through Sprouts my 4 year old spotted some brussels sprouts and begged me to get them! Taken aback, and not quite wanting to buy them I tried to put him off by telling him we would swing back and grab them later. When we walked near them at the end of our shopping, sure enough he remembered and asked for them. We walked out of the store with a bag full of sprouts and a head held high. When your 4 year old is begging for BRUSSELS SPROUTS you get them right?
We went right home and started on dinner. He couldn’t wait to make them. Using the knowledge Carly has disposed upon us– use coconut oil to counteract the brussels sprouts bitterness- we fried up the sprouts. Added bacon and green onion for good tasty measure ( a little extra insurance to get the kids to like them). Served them up with some fresh ground pepper, salt and even freshly grated parmesan cheese. 3 out of the 4 kids loved them, even the baby gobbled them up. It’s kinda sorta pretty rewarding when your kids actually chooses something healthy to eat. and likes it. Makes you feel like something is sinking in… ;)
- about 1.5 lbs brussels sprouts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 pre-cooked bacon strips (or uncooked is fine, see separate instructions for uncooked bacon)
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1 green onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- a couple of tablespoons of water
- optional-fresh parmesan cheese
- Wash brussles sprouts and cut in half. Chop up bacon, green onion and garlic cloves.
- Heat skillet on med-high heat. Add coconut oil- and allow to heat up. When hot add garlic, brussels sprouts, bacon, onion and 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté till brussels sprouts start browning.(2-3 minutes) If sprout are brown but not crisp tender add a few tablespoons of water and allow them to steam for a few minutes till at desired tenderness.
- top with fresh ground pepper, freshly shaved cheese and more salt if desired.
- -If using uncooked bacon fry bacon up first, remove from pan and chop. Leave a tablespoon or so plus a tablespoon of coconut oil and then continue as stated above.