Warm buttery chicken drenched in delicious lemon herb gravy. Sounds pretty amazing. This is what cooking is all about! There is nothing like the comfort food of roasted chicken or turkey! Sometimes we shy away from making these foods because they seem too difficult or time consuming but I'm showing you how easy it is and some tips tricks and gadets to making it even EASIER and simpler by using a few of my favorites!
This post is sponsored by OXO, all opinions and recipe are my own.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED HERB CHICKEN
I like to start by preparing my herb butter rub. Let me show you some of my must haves for this part of the recipe.
- CITRUS SQUEEZER I use this countless times during the week! You get the most juice out of your citrus without killing your fingers.
- GARLIC PRESS- I really really can't stand the smell of garlic on my fingers for days. so I use this whenever I'm using fresh garlic, which is ALWAYS.
- ZESTER. Adding zest to your dish will help enhance the flavor without the tartness being overpowering. The only way to really get a great zest is using one of these zester pictures below.
MAKING THE HERB BUTTER
Start by chopping up all your herbs nice and fine. The herbs you'll need (but can totally adjust, add or leave out) are
- Add your lemon zest, lemon juice, and crushed garlic.
Mix in your room temperature butter and get your chicken + roasting items ready!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR ROASTING A CHICKEN
- ROASTING PAN
- ROASTING RACK- these silicone racks are AMAZING. The meat doesn't stick to them and they clean so easy.
- SCISSORS (CUTTING TWINE)
- ROAST LIFTERS
- ONION & LEFTOVER LEMONS
In the chicken cavity check to see if there are any extra chicken parts like the neck. Clean those out then rinse and pat dry your chicken. Place your chicken on the silicone rack in a roasting pan. This deep non-stick pro pan was great! After baking for an hour it cleaning right off in minutes.
PREPARING YOUR CHICKEN
Take your lemon herb butter and rub your chicken. Peel the skin back and place a good amount underneath the skin. Spread the herb butter over the bottom, top, cavity all over!
Slice an onion in half. Take the onion and the lemons and place inside the cavity of the bird. Take the drumsticks and tie them together with twine.
BAKING HERB ROASTED CHICKEN
Bake the chicken at 425 for about an hour. You want the internal temp of the chicken to me 165. Don't place the chicken too close to the coils or fire in your oven. Make sure there is at least a few inches from the top so your chicken and herbs don't burn.
MAKING GRAVY FROM DRIPPINGS
To make the gravy from drippings here are a few essentials
- whisk (OXO's has been the only one that hasn't bent on me!)
- small bowl
- fat separator (completely obsessed with this!! I love knowing the fat is G.O.N.E.)
HOW TO MAKE GRAVY FROM ROAST DRIPPINGS
Remove your chicken and rack from pan. Pour your roasted chicken drippings into the fat separator. This will strain out any clumps, fat or chunky herbs to help ensure nice smoooooth gravy.
Let the gravy sit for a few minutes while the fat separates.
Now that the fat is separated pour the drippings into the pan and bring to a boil. Add in your water/cornstarch mixture and season to taste.
WHAT TO SERVE YOUR ROASTED HERB CHICKEN AND GRAVY WITH?
Keep In Touch!
If you tried this Veggie water or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Herb Roasted Chicken
- 1 small whole chicken giblets removed
- 2 lemons rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon oregano leaves fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoon parsely fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoon rosemary leaves fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoon thyme leave fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoon sage leaves chiffonade
- 4 Tablespoon butter very soft
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 onion cut in half
- 3 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Prepare chicken by ensuring insides are removed. If not, remove them and discard. Rinse and pat dry chicken with paper towels. Separate skin from chicken meat by sliding your hand between layers to separate.
- Squeeze 2 of the 3 lemons into small bowl, add zest, garlic, herbs, butter, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Use your hands to spread lemon herb butter between the skin and meat layers all throughout the chicken as well as over the top of the skin. Sprinkle with extra salt and pepper all over. Place lemon peels inside chicken cavity. Tie legs together with twine.
- Place chicken breast side up on roating rack in a roasting pan. Pour ½ c water into bottom of pan.
- Roast chicken about 1 hour. Turning over halfway with tongs. Skin should be golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and let rest 20 minutes before cutting.
- To make Gravy, heat pan drippings in saucepan over low/medium heat to a simmer. Make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water by whisking together. Slowly whisk the cornstarch slurry into the pan drippings. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over mashed potatoes.