Rainbow cupcakes are an easy dessert, full of delicious flavors, fun colors, sure lift anyones day. Perfectly moist mini-cakes topped with fluffy white buttercream frosting and rainbow candy. These are the best for St. Patrick's day treats or any other fun party.
Cupcakes are small, personal cakes usually lined with parchment paper liners or foil. They make the perfect cake for parties because
- they are the perfect serving size.
- The cake batter goes farther making it easier to feed larger crowds.
- Cook and cool quickly if you are in a time crunch.
- great for independent little hands and mouths.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE RAINBOW CUPCAKES?
- Cupcakes - whatever is your favorite. Bake and let cool. (I used a boxed rainbow funfetti here for a rainbow theme.
- Buttercream frosting This is a great recipe!
- Extreme Sour Rainbow Candy- I have the best luck at finding this candy at a grocery store. Super stores (i.e. super walmart/super target) sometimes have them, but I can alway rely on my local Albertsons to have this candy
- If piping, than a tip and piping bag.
- Sprinkles if desired.
WHERE CAN I FIND RAINBOW CANDY?
When I first made this post they were hard to find!! but thanks to the ease of amazon you can grab there for a great price. Here is the link for the Airhead Xtremes Sweetly Sour Candy Belts I used. If you are looking at the stores check in the actual candy isle.
HOW TO MAKE RAINBOW CUPCAKES
STEP ONE: BAKE CUPCAKES AND LET COOL.
WHAT KIND OF CAKE MIX DO I USE?
You can use any box mix or make them homemade. I used funfetti to keep with the rainbow theme.
STEP TWO MAKE YOUR FROSTING
Beat your room temp butter then add your powder sugar, vanilla and milk slowly. Beat the frosting for about 5 minutes until it is nice and fluffy.
Fill your pipping bag with your favorite tip and frosting and set aside.
DO I HAVE TO PIPE ON THE FROSTING?
No, but having a nice thick frosting layer is essential for the rainbow to stay up.
HOW MANY CUPCAKES WILL THIS RECIPE FROST?
Depending on how generous you are with the frosting on each cupcake it will frost 12-24 cupcakes. If you are piling it on high, like I did plan for around 12 cupcakes.
FILLING YOUR CUPCAKE WITH SPRINKLES!
I LOVE this part. Its a fun little additional surprise for everyone who eats your cupcakes. On St. Patricks Day I love to fill it with gold Sprinkles. GOLD at the end of the rainbow!
HOW TO FILL YOUR CUPCAKE WITH SPRINKLES
- Grab a large tip that you are not using, or simply use your finger (the tip makes a clean easy cut) and cut down the middle of the cupcake.
- Take your finger and press down the center of the cupcake where you cut the hole.
- Fill with sprinkles.
WHAT SPRINKLES DO I USE?
You can use your favorite! Keep in mind however their size- the bigger the sprinkles are you may want to use more sparingly. I prefer to use a smaller sprinkle that are easy to chew. Most people do not want too many large chunky candies in their cupcakes.
DO I HAVE TO INSERT SPRINKLES?
No, this is totally personal preference. Just skip this step if you dont want them and pipe the frosting.
HOW TO FROST YOUR RAINBOW CUPCAKES
- If your cupcake has a hole from the sprinkles Start by filling in the remaining hole.
- without stopping continue to swirl the frosting around in a circle.
- You can create a couple of layers or just one thick swirl!
HOW TO INSERT THE RAINBOWS ON YOUR RAINBOW CUPCAKES
THE TRICK to making these rainbow candies stay in a rainbow arch form when on the cupcakes is
- do not make them too long (about 3 inches, I little less than half the length of the candy strip)
- press them in to the frosting a few cm to ensure they're steady
PROTIP: When making your frosting make it on the thicker side. Don't add too much milk. You want it to hold its form from the piping and hold the rainbow up. (but don't make it too thick you can't pipe it out of the bag either. Just a nice firm frosting)
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! I've done this many times and the rainbows stayed up! To ensure they stay nice and sturdy place them in the fridge.
ARE THERE OTHER RAINBOW CANDIES IF I CAN'T FIND THIS ONE?
While I haven't tried it, you could try nerd rope, or a combo of color licorice pull and peels.
CAN I MAKE THESE RAINBOW CUPCAKES GLUTEN FREE?
There are many gluten free cake mixes in stores and the frosting is gluten free. HOWEVER be cautious as the rainbow candy is not gluten free. So if you are making a few for gluten free kids you can top them with a rainbow candy that is gluten free like nerds or sprinkles to make them feel special even though they don't have the rainbow.
Tell me about it!
Try this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
- 12-24 baked cupcakes
- 2 packages rainbow candy air head xtremes
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- small sprinkles if desired
- Prepare your cupcakes by baking and let cool. When cool use a tip or your finder tocut a hole in the center. Push it down and add about 1 tps of sprinkles.
- With your stand mixer, using your paddle attachment beat your butter for 30-60 seconds. You want your butter to be room temp or slightly firmer.
- Slowly add powder sugar, milk and vanilla. Alternating wet and dry ingredients.
- You want your frosting to be on the firmer side. If you feel it is too soft it may be because the butter is too warm or there is alittle too much milk. You can fix this by adding more powder sugar.
ADDING FROSTING AND RAINBOWS
- Add a thick layer of frosting to your cupcakes. It doesnt need to be as thick as the photos, just thick enough for the feet of the rainbow to be nice and sturdy. Cut your rainbow candies into 3 inches in length. Curve them and place them in the frosting.
- If you are piping the frosting on the cupcakes as thick and high as i did in the photos it will cover about 12 cupcakes. in these photos the frosting is piled about 3 layers high. one would be plenty! :)
I love that this recipe is basic steps taken to a next level. Easy to follow and great tips.
LOVE the rainbow candy. Cupcakes and sour rainbows- it the best.
These are so fun and easy. I love this idea. Made them for a party and they were perfect.
Made these for my son's birthday party and they were a huge hit!
yay! That makes my day!