Many many years ago, I had dinner at a friend's house. She made the most delicious grilled chicken. It was moist and flavorful and tender. She told me that she had grilled it with a can of soda in the cavity of the bird.
I immediately went home and told my husband about it. We made one that weekend and have been in love with this technique ever since.
I like to rub the bird with a seasoning blend like McCormick Montreal Chicken or Webster Kick'n Chicken. You can buy all of the spices separately and make your own rub, but why spend four times the money when a perfect blend is readily available. These spice mixes contain orange peel, red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and many more spices. You really get the bang for your buck by buying one of these.
I rub it liberally over the chicken and inside of the cavity (make sure you remove the giblets). Then open a can of soda. I've tried coke, sprite, squirt - whatever you have on hand will work. As the bird cooks the soda will tenderize and moisten the chicken.
Place the open can of chicken inside the cavity of the bird. Place the bird standing upright on your bbq. Turn one side of your bbq to high, and the other side to low. Place the bird on the low heat side. Cook for about 35 minutes and then rotate the bird. Cook for another 35 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees. Let the bird rest for about 10 minutes before you carve.
Soda Can Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 12 ounce can of soda sprite, coke, whatever you have on hand
- ¼ cup of chicken seasoning McCormick Montreal Chicken, Websters Kickin Chicken
- Season chicken liberally with spice mix. Be sure to season inside of the cavity after you remove the giblets.
- Open your can of soda and place inside the cavity.
- Preheat your bbq with one side on low, and the other on high. Place the bird standing upright on the soda can on the low side of the bbq.
- Cook for about 35 minutes and then rotate. Cook for an additional 35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.
- Let rest for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the can of soda and discard.
- Carve the chicken and serve.