Buttery, crunchy, sweet and salty delicious peanut brittle is the best holiday treat. It's pretty easy when you have all the essentials and a few tips and tricks. You'll have it down in no time. With this step by step tutorial on how to make peanut brittle.
WHAT IS PEANUT BRITTLE
Peanut Brittle is a caramel like candy boiled to the hard crack temperature with nuts added. Typically its your standard peanut added, but some use any combination of nuts.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED?
- LIGHT CORN SYRUP
- BAKING SODA
- COARSE SEA SALT
WHAT TOOLS DO I NEED?
- HEAVY BOTTOM PAN
- THERMOMETER THAT CAN REACH HIGH TEMPS FOR CANDY
- SILICONE SPATUAL OR WOOD SPOON THAT CAN WITHSTAND HIGH TEMPS
- A PARCHMENT, SILICONE LINED OR GREASED SHEET PAN
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BRITTLE
This recipe is really pretty simple! I have two major tips for you
- have your candy thermometer ready
- have your ingredients pre-measured out
FIRST STEIPS IN HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BRITTLE
- In a heavy bottom pan on medium heat add your butter, sugar, water, corn syrup.
- Stir until the butter is melted and it starts to come to a boil.
Keep your pan over medium heat and let it keep boiling, stirring occasionally. When it starts to turn a caramel color start checking the temp occasionally. This process will take the longest part. Plan on 15-30 minutes from start to finish.
If you have a thermometer that can clip onto the side of the pan insert that when it starts boiling.
PROTIP: If you are putting the thermometer in and out make sure to clean it before re-inserting it. I just keep a damp towel beside me.
REMOVE FROM HEAT WHEN IT REACHES 300
Take the pan off the heat and this is when you need to act VERY quickly because the peanut brittle will cool very quickly.
- Stir in your baking soda. It will foam up when you add it.
- Add in vanilla.
- Stir in peanuts.
Again, do this part very quickly. Vigorously stirring.
QUICKLY POUR ON A COOKIE SHEET/JELLY ROLL PAN.
- You will want the cookie sheet to be non-stick. Use parchment paper, a silicone baking sheet or a greased cookie sheet.
- Spread the peanut brittle as thin as you can.
- Immediately add your sea salt.
LET IT COOL!
Before it will crack it needs to cool completely. Then use your hands and just break it into pieces.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN IF MY PEANUT BRITTLE IS SOFT?
If your peanut brittle is soft that means it did not cook it a high enough temperature, where the sugar heated up to the "hard crack" stage. Your brittle is still edible though! They're just technically called peanut chews now.
WHAT DOES IT MEAN IF IT IS TOO HARD?
Then your peanut brittle was cooked past the temp 300.
DO I HAVE TO REFRIGERATE IT?
No, The peanut brittle can be stored at room temp! Just keep it wrapped tight.
HOW LONG WILL PEANUT BRITTLE LAST?
Wrapped in an airtight container it will keep for about 2 months!
LOOKING FOR OTHER FUN HOLIDAY TREATS? TRY THESE!!
OR THESE ARE FUN TOO!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you tried this peppermint shake or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to! And don’t forget to pin this recipe to save for later.
- 1 ½ Tablespoon butter
- 2 c sugar
- ½ c corn syrup
- ½ c water
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 c peanuts
- coarse salt
- Prepare and measure out all ingredients. Incliding lining or greasing a jelly roll pan.
- Pour corn syrup, sugar, butter and water into pot; cook on medium heat stirring intermittently until the butter melts and it begins to boil.
- Insert candy thermometer if you have one that hooks on the pot. Keep cooking on medium, stirring occasionally. Cook until hard crack stage, or 300 degrees (about 20 minutes).
- Remove pot from heat, add baking soda and vanilla, stir violently and add peanuts.
- Immediately pour onto greased jelly roll pan, lined with parchment paper if desired. Let cool. Break into pieces, store in airtight container.
DO I HAVE TO REFRIGERATE PEANUT BRITTLE?No, The peanut brittle can be stored at room temp! Just keep it wrapped tight.
HOW LONG WILL PEANUT BRITTLE LAST?Wrapped in an airtight container the peanut brittle will keep for about 2 months!