This creamy Pesto Hummus is my ALL TIME FAVORITE hummus. Nothing can beat it. Made with fresh basil, creamy chickpeas a little lemon garlic it is the best hummus recipe with tahini. I'm telling you, this will be your new favorite recipe.
Why You Will Love This Hummus Recipe
This isn't any regular hummus recipe its full of flavor and crazy delicious.
- It is creamy and smooth.
- a unique blend of flavors even a picky eater will love.
- Hummus is high in fiber and protein.
- Easy and fast to make.
Pesto Hummus Ingredients
- BASIL- you are going to need a lot of basil. I recommend buying a whole plant, or if you have a Trader Joes they carry a nice large pack of basil at an amazing price.
- PINE NUTS- pesto is combination of basil, oil, spices and pine nuts. But you can get it at grocery stores, and try the bulk section if your stores have that. It'll be better priced that way!
- GARBANZO BEANS- are essential for hummus! Find them in the canned beans section.
- LEMON & SEA SALT- to brighten the flavor!
- TAHINI- is a sesame paste, and optional - this is a classic hummus ingredients that adds a smoothness and lots and lots of minerals and vitamins. A few years ago tahini was almost impossible to find, but now I see it in almost every grocery store. Check in the condiments or oil sections OR in the ethnic food isle.
How to Make Lemon Basil Hummus
Lemon basil hummus is ridiculously easy! it's a simple one-step process.
- Throw it all in the blender and blend!
PROTIP: if using a blender add liquids first- like your extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
What do I use to blend the Pesto Hummus
I highly recommend a high powered blender like a blendtec for the ultimate creamy hummus. You can also use a food processor. When I use the hummus in the food processor I can use less oil but it is not as smooth as when I use my blender. The garbanzo beans were more gritty than smooth.
What Do I Top The Hummus With?
try topping your hummus with
- good quality olive oil
- feta cheese
- pine nuts
- fresh basil
What to Serve Hummus With!
- Pita bread
- Pita chips
- Fresh veggies like cucumber, carrots, celery
- Gluten-free crackers like Crunchmaster or Miltons
Pesto Hummus FAQ
HUMMUS is full of fiber and protein. It is a great filling snack that can help curb hunger when you are waiting in between meals.It also contains healthy fats from the sesame seed (tahini) paste and olive oil. It has a lot of good health benefits.
If you cannot find chickpeas/garbanzo beans then you can substitute them with great northern beans.
A few years ago tahini was almost impossible to find, but now I see it in almost every grocery store. Check in the condiments or oil sections OR in the ethnic food isle.
Store it in a air tight container in the fridge. It will keep for 7-10 days.
Is Hummus Gluten-Free?
Yes, most recipes for hummus include all ingredients that are gluten-free. This recipe is 100% gluten free. Serve it with gluten free pita bread, crackers, grill meat or veggies.
Other Hummus Recipes You May Enjoy
Around here we are pretty serious about our greek dips - we are no stranger to hummus recipes, you need to check out our:
- roasted red pepper hummus - this hummus is not only gluten free, but full of bright herby flavor. This is a favorite for sure!
- original hummus - this traditional hummus recipe is a staple and one you'll want to come back to in our recipe index for future greek nights.
- greek hummus - this hummus has the traditional garlic clove, tahini and chick peas, but it also has tons of delicious toppings.
- beet hummus - earthy beets blended with all the traditional greek flavors. Heaven.
Don't Be Shy
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to.
- 2 cans of Garbanzo Beans
- 2 cups loosely packed Basil
- ¼ cup Pine Nuts
- ⅓ cup EVOO
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup tahini optional, but recommended
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper
- Tiny pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Wash basil. drain and rinse beans.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with Veggies or Pita Chips. Use as a spread on wraps or sandwiches.