I’ve decided that this is the perfect summer recipe. Fresh herbs and ripe tomatoes give this pasta sauce a bright rich flavor and a true Italian delight. Not your typical spaghetti sauce. Intact this sauce works amazing with any type of pasta, I chose to pair it with some fresh pasta I made with my KitchenAid Pasta Rollers…those things are amazing. Homemade fresh pasta in minutes. Nothing quite compares to homemade pasta. If you are a pasta lover, they need to be in your kitchen! Click here for tutorial on how to use.
The Perfect Summer Pasta
Let me explain why I think this is a perfect summer recipe. Every year my mother plants a large garden. It usually has a pumpkin plant, zucchini, squash, peppers, maybe some corn, watermelon, and of course tomato plants! Home grown tomatoes are amazing. Seriously just the richest fresh flavor. This is kind of a family garden since we all work on it, planting and weeding. Watering and maintaining. We end up with so much produce there is plenty to go around. Our hundreds of tomatoes are used to can salsa. If any of you have ever grown a solid tomato plant, you usually get to the point of endless tomatoes. Even with our salsa making we still have tomatoes! This recipe requires a fair amount of tomatoes. Perfect to use up all those garden tomatoes!
And use up your fresh herbs from your herb garden! This year I did a Thai basil, basil, mint and cilantro. All my favorites. This recipe calls for sage and rosemary, so I just bought a small amount from the store. But rosemary is another herb that is easy to grow and so flagrant.
How to Peel Tomatoes
The first thing you will need to do for this fresh pasta sauce, is prepare your tomatoes. Click here for a quick tutorial on how to peel tomatoes. This technique is great for salsa, spaghetti sauce or canning tomatoes. The fresh tomatoes really taste amazing. Simmering them with the herbs and garlic make the flavors rich. If you are fixing for a crowd, double! The more the better. You start with a lot of tomatoes but they cook down.
When I fixed this for dinner the other night, everyone that came through the kitchen commented on how amazing it smelled. It’s seriously so good you guys! You need to try! And this recipe is legit. This Italian recipe was been handed down to me from Carly and to Carly from a lady who lived in Italy for a few years. That lady, wrote it down from an Italian family that she met. Here is the handed down recipe, unchanged from its motherland. It’s exchanged hands a few times, but the originality is still true!
Pair this sauce with some homemade pasta and you will be have dreams of Mediterranean coast lines and tuscany villas.
Delicious and easy Italian pasta sauce made with fresh tomatoes and herbs!
- 2 lbs about 8 Roma Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 large clove of Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Fresh Basil minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Rosemary minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Sage minced
- 1 Bouillon Cube vegetable, beef or chicken work well
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 C Whipping Cream
- Peel tomatoes by making a small cut in the skin with a sharp knife. Then place in boiling pot of water for about 2 mins (give or take). Just long enough that the skins of the tomatoes start to peel off.
- Remove tomatoes from pot and immediately add to ice water. When cool to touch, begin peeling skins off.
- Dice tomatoes removing stems.
- Now that your tomatoes are prepared, melt butter in large skillet. Dissolve in bullion cube.
- Add in fresh herbs and simmer about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer on low heat about 6 minutes. Then add whipping cream, cover and simmer for another 15 mins.
- Toss with fresh pasta.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and minced basil.