A couple weeks ago I tried out instant pot meatloaf and my whole family was blown away! We decided to take this meatloaf up a notch (if that's even possible) and make it instant pot cheeseburger meatloaf.
How did the instant pot change up my meatloaf to make it so much better than oven baked meatloaf? My instant pot meatloaf comes out fluffy and moist. It's not dry or over cooked. It's all the right things.
How to make instant pot cheeseburger meatloaf
I start out by using 2 pounds of ground beef. I like to use 2 pounds because I have a large family and meatloaf goes fast. Even if you dont have a large family, i still recommend to use 2 pounds. Meatloaf makes a great leftover! make some meatloaf subs!
Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl with your ground beef. Gently mix all the ingredients together until they're well incorporated. Divide the mixture into two separate but equal halves.
Take one half and mold into a circle about the circumference as your steam rack that came with your pressure cooker.
Add a nice thick layer of your favorite medium or sharp cheddar cheese, and then mold the second half of your meatloaf on top of the cheese. So the cheese is completely covered by the meat.
Next, using a silicone brush, brush a mixture of half ketchup/half your favorite BBQ sauce all over the meatloaf. I do the top and the sides.
You will need to get creative with your foil. Here are your instructions for surrounding your meatloaf.
Foil 1. You will need 2 long sheet of foil. Place them on top of each other like a cross. in the center of this cross is where you will mold your meatloaf into a circle. Once its completetled with the sauce spread over it loosely fold up the foil directly under the meatloaf and crimp the ends.
Take the second sheet and fold that around the edges. You do NOT want the foil tightly wrapped around the meatloaf. Let the meatloaf have room to breath so to speak.
Foil #2. Make a foil handle. Take a long sheet (about 2 feet long) and fold it hot dog, and hot dog again (meaning fold i half the long way so it stays its original length but gets skinnier.) you will do this 2x's. See the video below for a visual.
Place 1 cup water, metal rack, handles and then meatloaf into the instant pot. Seal it up and cook for 35 minutes! Natural release.
- In a large bowl add all ingredients except water, ketchup and BBQ sauce and lightly mix until combined.
- Divide meatloaf into two sections. Take one half and mold into a round flat disc. The same circumference as your wire steam rack provided with your instant pot.
- Add sliced cheese on top, and mold remaining meatloaf on top. In small bowl add ketchup and bbq sauce. Mix. spread over top and side of meatloaf.
- Take 2 long foil sheets and make them into a cross. Center meatloaf on them. Loosely fold and crimp foil around the meatloaf. You don't want it to be tight, you want the meatloaf to be able to breath.
- Take another long sheet of foil and fold it length wise twice, making a long skinny handle. In pressure cooker add water, add wire rack, add long skinny foil handle (see video) place in meatloaf. Cook high pressure 35 minutes. Natural release.
- You can also make this in your oven using the same ingredients. Using a grease bread pan layer in half the meatloaf mixture, add cheese and mold remaining meatloaf on top. Place sauces on top of meatloaf and bake 350 for 1 hour