We DO like Green Eggs and Ham...Waffle Sandwich, that is! Aren't you tired of oatmeal or toast? Let's try something new for breakfast, shall we? Brunch? Brinner? Trust me, it all works.
I have been on the hunt for the perfect, crispy waffle for YEARS. Years, my friends. We have a delicious, healthy, hearty recipe for Oatmeal Waffles on here, but I wanted something simple and light and crisp--you know, the guilty kind with absolutley no health benefits. I've tried folding in stiff egg whites, varying sugars, varying fats, all sorts of recipes! Then, I found it. The secret ingredient is cornstarch! They are crisp, light, it has minimal ingredients, no fancy extra steps, I'm obsessed. Perfect for Buttermilk Syrup, Coconut Syrup, or even Peanut Butter Cinnamon Syrup.
Cheese and chives are always a perfectly acceptable answer as well! This really comes together in a cinch. My inspiration is a restaurant we used to frequent in Southern California, Bruxie. They do all sorts of waffle sandwiches and custard shakes and holy cow I miss that place. Of course Bruxie has a Green Eggs and Ham sandwich, so I created it at home and friends, it is golden. First make your waffles, heat up some canadian bacon, and fry a couple of eggs. Last, top it all with pesto and cheese. So much cheese.
Green Eggs and Ham Waffle Sandwich
- 6 eggs
- 6 slices canadian bacon
- ¾ c flour
- ¼ c cornstarch
- ½ Tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ Tablespoon baking soda
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- 1 c buttermilk
- ⅓ c canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ Tablespoon sugar only add if not making savory waffles
- ¾ Tablespoon vanilla only add if not making savory waffles
- ½ shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoon chopped chives
- Heat waffle iron on high. Mix all wet ingredients for waffles in a medium bowl. Gently blend in dry ingredients just until blended, not any more. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Top half of each cooked waffle with cheese and keep cooked waffles in warm oven/toaster oven until ready to serve.
- While waffles are cooking, melt a dab of butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Fry eggs until bottoms are set and crisp, then flip over to cook until desired doneness.
- Heat canadian bacon in frying pan.
- To assemble, top cheese on waffles with hot egg and canadian bacon, then spread pesto on other half of waffle. Press together and serve immediately.