As unprofessional as the photo below may be, this is my all time favorite picture. I wish you could have heard the squeal and seen the excitement and translated the two year old language of “Tay!! it’s rweady! Take pit-chure of my tar mom!” Tay Pit-chure!!!! (insert squeal!!)
but, if you are looking for seriousness….here ya go.
I have cravings regardless of being pregnant or not, being pregnant only intensifies my cravings….and gives me a pretty valid excuse to give in to those cravings. It’s no secret I’ve been on a tomato, basil, and melllllllted cheese kick this pregnancy. mmm… does it never sound not good? nope.
So my latest desired cravings is a hot chicken pomodori panini at Corner Bakery. But going to Corner Bakery is not cheap, $11 for a sandwich, which can easily be made at home is hard to justify despite my pregnancy excuse. Right? We have all been there (even if you have never been pregnant) sometimes your will just has to be greater than your want. Especially when a wallet is involved.
There are a couple of components to this sandwich to make it absolutely perfect.
1. the CRUNCH.
I once had THEE best BLT at a little cafe, and what made the whole thing unique was whatever garlic spices butter they put on the bread pre-grilling to make it crispy and flavorful. There is no law that says all the flavor as to be inside the sandwich. Be creative! Garlic goes with everything. So I made a Raosted Garlic Butter. Use it to butter the outside of the sourdough bread, and store it in a container and use it for everything! like seriously people, other than cakes and cookies use it where you would normally just use regular buttah.
Roast Garlic in the oven, and cream it with a food processor till its nice and fluffy.
Store in fridge and use often.
2. Pesto Mayo (2 parts pesto, 1 part mayo)
3. The rest of the sandwich…. spread on one side your pesto mayo, later with fresh tomatoes, a basil leaf or two, grilled chicken, and a mozzarella.
If you don’t have a panini you can make it just as you would a grilled cheese on a skillet or griddle.
4. Serve with Pickles and Kettle Chips.
holy crap, I wish I had me somma dis right now.
Easy and delicious Chicken and Pesto Panini
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
- pesto mayo see recipe below
- roasted Garlic butter recipe below
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes sliced thin
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 chicken breast grilled and cut
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- On the outside of your bread, butter them with the roasted garlic mixture.
- On one, inside piece of bread spread on pesto mayo
- Layer tomatoes, 2 basil leaves,chicken and cheese, topped with the other slice of sourdough bread.
- Making sure butter side is facing outward, grill, or press in your panini until cheese is melted and Grooves are golden brown.
- Serve with kettle chips and pickles.
- GARLIC BUTTER
- 1 cup butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic in skins
- place garlic cloves in oven on cookie sheet.
- broil till garlic is a light brown on skin
- remove from oven and shed skins
- combine butter and garlic in food processor, pulse until garlic is minced and butter is fluffy.
- PESTO MAYO
- 1 tbs mayo
- 2 tbs pesto
- stir till combined