One of my VERY favorite quick and easy meals. Hot Chicken Pesto Sandwich. Creamy pesto may with grilled chicken, fresh melty mozzarella, plus fresh tomatoes and basil.
MAKING THIS PESTO CHICKEN SANDWICH A HOT
There are two ways you can heat this sandwich for the perfect melty goodness!
- Panini press. This is my preferred method. It works the best with the fresh mozzarella.
- Griddle. make just like you would a grilled cheese sandwich!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS SANDWICH
- Mayo (great quality! (I like Trader Joes or Hellmans/Real Foods)
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Fresh Basil
PRO TIP: You can grab already cooked grilled chicken strips in the deli section or the freezer section and use them for this hot sandwich.
HOW TO MAKE THE PESTO MAYO
This, to me, MAKE the SANDWICH AMAZING. It is everything.
Simply mix a really great tasting mayo (I like Trader Joes, or Real Foods/Heinz Mayo) with a pesto spread.
I like it to be 2 parts mayo to 1 part pesto.
STEPS TO MAKING A DELICIOUS CRIPSY PESTO CHICKEN SANDWICHES
STEP 1: Butter one side of a piece of bread
STEP 2: Flip bread over
- Next spread pesto mayo over the opposite side
- Add grilled chicken
- Basil leaves
- Sliced tomatoes
- Fresh Mozzarella
- MORE pesto mayo
Top with you last slice of bread and butter the top.
HEATING UP YOUR SANDWICH
Now your sandwich is ready to be grilled or placed in the panini press.
Heat until sandwich bread is toasted on each side and cheesy is melty!
PRO TIP: because you are using fresh mozzarella it needs a little more time than traditional mozzarella to melt so cook your sandwich on med-high heat, not high, or your bread will be done before your cheese it heated through.
CAN I USE REGULAR MOZZARELLA OR OTHER CHEESE?
OF COURSE! You can always use whatever cheese is your favorite. But the big cheesy fresh mozzarella is pretty hard to beat.
WHAT DO I SERVE THIS WITH?
This grilled chicken pesto sandwich is great to be served with
- (I mean, honestly, lets be real) crunch potato chips, a pickle and a coke haha.
but if you want some home cooked sides make one of these and pair it with a fruit or veggie salad
MAKING THIS GLUTEN-FREE!
You can totally make this for my gluten-free diet using a great tasting gluten free bread like this Canyon Bakehouse white bread.
Keep In Touch!
If you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- 8 slices bread
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes sliced thin
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 chicken breast grilled and cut
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- in a small dish mix pesto and mayo together
- Butter the outside of your bread.
- On one, inside piece of bread spread on pesto mayo
- Layer tomatoes, 2 basil leaves,chicken and cheese, topped with the other slice of bread.
- Making sure butter side is facing outward, grill, or press in your panini until cheese is melted and Grooves are golden brown.
- Serve with kettle chips