This is definitely one of my favorite, go-to chicken dinner recipes. My kids love it, my husband loves it, my friends all ADORE it, and I LOVE it. It's not only delicious, but EASY and fast. I'm showing you step-by-step how to make a gourmet chicken cordon bleu (with a homemade cream sauce) roll up, with no hammering out any meat, in just minutes.
WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
For the rolling-of-the-chicken you will need:
- SWISS CHEESE
- HAM (or try pre-cooked bacon! its also delicious!)
- CHICKEN BREASTS
PRO-TIP: have all ingredients measured/counted out before you start cutting and dipping your chicken becuase your hands are going to get messy with raw chicken and you don't want to have to wash your hands repeatedly.
HOW TO ROLL CHICKEN FOR CHICKEN CORDON BLEU -THE EASY WAY
Here is the secret to making your chicken cordon bleu easy and fast without the mess and time of hammering your chicken flat. You BUTTERFLY it.
Butterflying your chicken basically means you are going to slice it in half lengthwise. This will give you two thin slices of chicken out of one breast. It makes your chicken go farther and provides the perfect serving size.
- Start with a thawed chicken breast and sharp knife. Trim and fat or tendons.
- Starting with the thick part of the chicken slice horizontal through the breast
- Lay breast open, here it looks like a butterfly. Cut in half
- Place a small piece of swiss cheese along the chicken
- Place a piece of ham on top of the cheese
TIPS TO ROLLING YOUR CHICKEN
I like to start with the skinny end and roll towards the fatter end of the breast toothpick that bad boy nice and tight. Usually I use 2 toothpicks per chicken roll.
After rolling dip your chicken in butter, then coat in breadcrumbs.
PRO-TIP: cut and roll all your chicken before starting the dipping process. Your hands will also get coated with butter and breadcrumbs which is hard to work with when rolling the chicken. Roll all chickens, then dip.
When you are finished coating your chicken rolls place them in a pan. Drizzle remaining butter from bowl over chicken cordon bleu rolls and place in oven to bake.
PRO-TIP: They will take a little less than an hour to bake, but to take all the guess work out and know for sure your chicken is completely cooked I HIGHLY recommend using a thermometer. 100% recommend this one from thermoworks- it is hands down the more reliable one on the market for temp reading.
HOMEMADE CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SAUCE
Now for the ultimate gravy! This easy peasy chicken cordon bleu sauce is what everyone drools over. So while your chicken is baking make the sauce.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR HOMEMADE CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SAUCE?
- Butter and flour- to make a roux
- chicken boullion
- parmesan cheese
- swiss cheese
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY HOMEMADE CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SAUCE
- Melt butter in sauce pan, add flour and whisk. Add in bullion. Once bubbling add milk and water.
- Add in cheese and parsley
- Stir until it's all combined and melted.
Serve over chicken or to the side. (also a great topping for your side dish!)
WHAT DO I SERVE AS A SIDE FOR CHICKEN CORDON BLEU?
My go-to is jasmine rice, cooked in my instant pot. ha ha It's fast, easy and kids love it. For some more fancier options try
Roasted Red Potatoes
CAN I MAKE GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN CORDON BLEU!
ABSOLUTELY!! Infact the photos you're looking at right now are all make with gluten-free ingredients. I used gluten-free bread crumbs and gluten-free flour for the roux in the cheese sauce. My go-to flour substitute is cup-4-cup, but you can use whatever you can find at your local grocery store or online store. I got these ingredients just at my Walmart!
Leave Us A Comment!
If you tried this smothered chicken or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 thawed chicken breast
- 8 pieces of Deli ham *I prefer honey ham
- 8 slices of swiss cheese.
- 16+ toothpicks
- ½ cup of melted butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 Tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoon instant chicken bullion
- ¾ cup shredded swiss cheese I typically use the rest of the sliced swiss, just tear it up.
- 4 Tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 2 ½ cup milk
- 4 Tablespoon flour
- dash of pepper
- 2 teaspoon parsley
- Butterfly your chicken breast.Start with a thawed chicken breast and sharp knife. Trim and fat or tendons.Starting with the thick part of the chicken slice horizontal through the breastLay breast open, here it looks like a butterfly. Cut in halfPlace a small piece of swiss cheese along the chickenPlace a piece of ham on top of the cheese
- I like to start with the skinny end and roll towards the fatter end of the breast toothpick that bad boy nice and tight. Usually I use 2 toothpicks per chicken roll.After rolling dip your chicken in butter, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- place in 9x13 pan
- 6.Bake at 350 for 40-50 min
- Melt butter on med heat, stir in flour. Let mixture bubble for a minute.
- Add bullion, and milk.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Pour over chicken.