This is the broccoli cheese soup I grew up on, and its the only soup some of my picky eater children will eat. It has a creamy, delicious texture with a cheddar flavor everyone loves. They'll even eat all the veggies when covered in this easy broccoli cheese soup.
Why this broccoli cheese soup works
Things I love about this soup
- its a fan favorite. I'm telling you EVERYONE loves it.
- It's really easy to make
- It makes a good size pan so you can divide it in half and freeze, eat it all week, share or feed a large gathering.
- cheese soups can be really easy to ruin and become grainy, but with these ingredients its easy!
What ingredients do I need?
- cheese whiz
- veggies of choice
Can I substitute Cheese Whiz
You can use 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese as a substitute.
Is Cheese Whiz the same as velveeta?
No, Cheese whiz is similar to a pub cheese. It is a cheese base with some flavor. Velveeta however does not have any cheese in it at all.
Why Cheese whiz over cheese?
First- cheese whiz makes for a very creamy smooth cheese soup. Second Cheese is easy to ruin when cooking in soup. When dairy products become to hot it is "scaled." It separates, becomes grainy and can alter the taste but definitely alters the texture. Which cheese wiz its hard to do?
Where do I find cheese whiz?
You can find it sometimes by the marinara sauce, other times by the nacho/processed cheeses.
How to make easy broccoli cheese soup
Start by melting your butter and sautéing your onions. I like to add in my carrots. This is part of the mirepoix. A mirepoix is a flavor base for a soup or sauce. It can also contain celery. Feel free to add if you desire.
Sprinkle in your flour and let the flour cook for a minute.
Add in broth, cheese and vegetables
Turn your heat up and start stirring in your broth. Continue stirring until the soup is coming to a boil then turn down to low.
Stir in your cheese and add any remaining vegetables you want to add like broccoli, potato, cauliflower etc.
Cover and let cook on low until the veggies are tender. About 15 minutes.
One of my favorite sides to serve with broccoli cheese soups is garlic bread. My family will eat an entire French bread loaf or baguette with this soup. They love to dip the buttery bread into the cheesy soup.
Store in an air tight container either in your fridge or freezer. Remember once you reheat leftovers they are done. If they are not consumed you throw them away.
Yes! You would want to add broth and veggies to the cooker and allow those to cook until the veggies are tender. Make a slurry of flour and water ( or broth). Bring your soup to a boil, slowly add in your flour mixture. Remove from heat and add in cheese.
More Recipes You May Enjoy
Instant Pot Summer Corn Chowder
Let's Be BFFs
If you tried this Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- ¾ cup flour
- 1-2 large carrots
- 1 large potato optional
- 6 cups broth
- 1 15 oz jar of cheese whiz
- 2-3 cup broccoli
- salt to taste
- Chop all veggies into small bite size pieces.
- In a large pan slowly melt butter with potato, onion and carrot. Sauté for a few minutes, do not let the butter brown. Slowly stir in flour and let bubble for another few minutes.
- While whisking slowly pour in broth. Let broth come to a boil and turn down. Slowly spoon in cheese and let melt.
- Add in broccoli and stir. Cover- stirring occasionally- allowing broccoli and other veggies to continue to cook. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve as soon as veggies are al dente.
- Remove from heat and serve immediatly.
Linda Austin says
Delicious! Very easy.
Ashley Krieger says
Turned out great! Thank you!
Danielle Frappiea says
Where do you find cheese wiz in a jar... I live in AZ and I could not even find it in the spray can for the teenage boys for snack????
It can be at various places in the grocery store, most often I find it by the spaghetti sauce or sometimes by the mexican food. Try look for it by velveeta.