Deep rich creamy beef stew is one of my (and my family's) favorite meal during cold seasons. Tender, slow-roasted beef, carrots, celery and tender potatoes come together for the ultimate beef stew. For a quicker method I'm showing how to make pressure cooker beef stew with all the same intense flavor as if it roasted for hours on the stove.
METHODS FOR MAKING BEEF STEW
There are a few ways you can make beef stew. The key to really delicious beef stew is for it to cook long and slow OR in the pressure cooker. If you are planning on cooking on the stove-top or over a fire, plan on about 1.5-2 hours. Ways you can cook beef stew
- Pressure cooker
- Dutch oven/Campfire
INGREDIENTS FOR BEEF STEW
No matter how you make beef stew these are the ingredients you'll need:
- 3-4 lb chuck roast cut into large bite size pieces
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- Carrots, celery, potatoes, peas or green beans
- Garlic, Thyme, Oregano
- Tomato paste
- Beef Broth and beef bullion
Chop carrots and potatoes into large pieces and make sure they are all about equal in size. Dice your celery, onion and garlic.
WHAT KIND OF MEAT DO I NEED FOR BEEF STEW
100% recommend a large chuck roast. It's so much better and flavorful than stewed meat. The reason? It's marbled with fat and FAT = FLAVOR. You want that delicious flavor infiltrating your stew! Cut your chuck roast into large bite size pieces- about 2 inch pieces.
MAKING YOUR BEEF STEW IN THE PRESSURE COOKER
- Preheat your instant pot on saute setting and sear sides of your chuck roast pieces. If doing this in your instant pot you will probably need to do this in batches. Or you can do this over your stove top and then continue the rest in the instant pot.
- Add in your onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Take your red wine vinegar (you could also use red or white wine) and deglaze the pan.
4. Add in your herbs- thyme, oregano and a large bay leaf (or two small ones)
pro-tip If you don't have fresh you can use dried!
5. Add in 1 cup of broth.
6. Add in your tomato paste and stir.
7.Place and seal your lid. Cook on high for 15 minutes and let the pressure naturally release. Do not quick release- this helps your meat come out tender.
PRESSURE COOKING VEGETABLES
Because the meat and the vegetables cook for different lengths of time we need to add the veggies later. After you meat has cooked and natural released add in your carrots, celery, potatoes.
Next Add in the remaining broth. Seal your instant pot and cook for 10 minutes. Again natural release.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR BEEF STEW THE PERFECT CONSISTENCY
Bring your instant pot to a boil.
Make a slurry of cornstarch and broth (or water) and stir into the stew. This will make your beef stew the perfect thickness.
Stir in your bouillon.
WHY add bouillon? You want to add this extra bouillon for a little added depth and beef flavor.My favorite brand of bouillon is "BETTER THAN BOUILLON"
If you are adding peas, add them now.
It's DONE! and ready to serve!
MAKING BEEF STEW ON THE STOVE TOP
I want to add a few tips here for making the beef stew on the stove top! You can use all the same ingredients as listed above! nothing changes.
- I love to use a deep dutch oven, or enamel cast iron pot for this because of the long cook time.
- Start by searing your beef in some oil and adding all the same ingredients as above (onion, garlic, herbs)
- Deglaze using your red wine vinegar.
- Add in veggies, broth, tomato paste, bouillon and broth.
- Simmer for about an hour and half to two hours.
- If desires, make a slurry and stir it in for a thicker stew.
- Add frozen peas at this point too.
Leave us a comment!
If you tried this Classic Beef Stew or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave us a comment below. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what else we’re getting up to!
The Best Beef Stew
- 3-4 lb chuck roast
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tso pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. chopped butternut squash
- 2-3 cups carrots thick sliced
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon beef bouillon prefer the brand better than bouillon
- 1 cup peas
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano or 2 teaspoon drieg oregano leaves
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar can also use red or white wine
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup water or beef broth
Pressure Cooker Instructions
- Start by cutting your chuck roast into large bite size pieces. about 2 inch pieces. heat your instant pot on saute setting. In olive oil sear your beef on sides. Do not cook through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in onion, garlic and herbs. Saute for a few minutes to soften onions. Using your red wine vinegar deglaze the pan while still hot by pouring in and scraping the bottom.
- Add in tomato paste, 1 cup broth. Seal pressure cooker and cook for 15 minutes high pressure. Let natural release.
- Remove lid and add in carrots, celery, remaining broth, bouillon. Seal lid and cook another 10 minutes. Letting natural release. For thicker stew: Remove lid, bring to boil. Using cornstarch and 1 cup cold or room temp water or broth mix together (making a slurry) and mix into boiling stew. Add frozen peas and stir. Serve hot.
Stove Top/Oven Instructions
- Start by cutting your chuck roast into large bite size pieces. about 2 inch pieces. heat your pot on medium hight heat. In olive oil sear your beef on sides. Do not cook through. Season with salt and pepper. Add in onion, garlic and herbs. Saute for a few minutes to soften onions. Using your red wine vinegar deglaze the pan while still hot by pouring in and scraping the bottom.
- Add in tomato paste, broth, carrots, celery, bouillon. Bring to a boil, add lid and turn down to low. Let cook for abou 1.5-2 hours. OR transfer to 350 degree oven and let cook for about 1 hour-1.5 hours. For thicker stew: After cooking for number of hours remove lid, bring to boil. Using cornstarch and 1 cup cold or room temp water or broth mix together (making a slurry) and mix into boiling stew. Add frozen peas and stir. Serve hot.