Growing up red enchiladas were always a favorite...that love has spilled over into my own little family as well. These are always a delicious, easy, comfort food that we enjoy. My mom always relied on the seasoning packet for these babies - 'cause lets face it - canned red sauce is...well...yucky. So I have a red enchilada sauce recipe that will knock your socks off.
Items From Your Pantry
I actually really like the good ol' seasoning packet as well, but making homemade is nearly as easy and twice as good! You probably have all of the seasoning in your spice cabinet, so there are no excuses my friends!
Make It Ahead!
The great thing about this sauce is that it can be made ahead that then used for a really fast weeknight meal. Tortilla, filling of choice, roll, repeat. Top with sauce and cheese. Bake. That's it!
Red Enchilada Sauce for a Versatile Meal
In under an hour you'll have a hot bubbly, homemade meal that will please your whole family. Here I've filled my corn tortillas with cheese. l love cheese enchiladas, but try ground beef, ground turkey, or shredded chicken!
Top with your favorite toppings - my favs are green onions and avocado. Sour cream, lettuce, or cilantro would be nice also.
Now Go Make It!
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I do! And while you're at it - check out our green enchiladas!
Homemade Red Sauce Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅛ cup chili powder
- 2 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoon chicken bouillon like knorr
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon ground chipotle optional - this will give it a kick
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes optional
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add flour - stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chili powder, tomato sauce, and water.
- Add bouillon, cumin, salt, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and chipote and parsley if desired.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge up to a week.
I love enchiladas, and this red sauce recipe was delicious with them! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll definitely be making this again!
WE love these enchiladas!
Renata Lavach-Savy says
This looks delicious. I love enchilada's, but hate the red sauce you buy at the stores. This looks perfect!