I have a really fun recipe for you today! This is a tropical twist on the classic hotdog – perfect for a hot dog bar this 4th of July. If you didn’t catch my 4th of July tables cape post – you must take a look for some fun party ideas!
A few years ago my husband and I took a trip to Kauai. Near our hotel was a little hot dog shack called Puka Dog. We ate there on a whim and we were hooked! We had to go back again before we left. They are unique in the fact that their hotdog buns are tubes of bread that the hot dog slides into. They serve them up with a lemon garlic sauce and tropical relish. My favorite relish was the coconut! Which is what I’ve re-created for you today. I’ll admit that this recipe isn’t spot on, but it’s still dang good and will bring a little island flare to your mainland celebration.
Here I am at a beachside shop in Kauai chowing down on my Puka Dog! If you ever visit Hawaii you MUST eat at Puka Dog and give me your review. Until then – whip up these tropical dogs.
All of the products I used in this post:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 bag flake coconut
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1/3 of a jalepeno, seeded
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- In a small skillet heat oil and cook garlic until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Create a simple syrup by combining sugar and water in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar disolves. Set aside to cool.
- In a blender combine all ingredients and pulse until combined